Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkdeluca

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! For our LOR what letter grade should we receive in order to ask for an LOR? Does that really matter in a LOR? (Obviously wouldn't ask a professor in which I failed) but do we need to have an A in the class? What's the lowest you'd say we should have in a class to consider an LOR from that professor/class?

Members don't see this ad.

Whoever can write you the best letter. I wouldn’t say grade really matters unless that’s all the teacher has to go off of. Even if you really struggled but went to a tutor and met with the professor and still got a C, if the professor acknowledges all the time and work you put in, I’d say go for it.. chances are they aren’t going to say “well this students really worked hard and still ended up getting a C.” Just make sure you have a good relationship with them

Reactions: 1 user
Whoever can write you the best letter. I wouldn’t say grade really matters unless that’s all the teacher has to go off of. Even if you really struggled but went to a tutor and met with the professor and still got a C, if the professor acknowledges all the time and work you put in, I’d say go for it.. chances are they aren’t going to say “well this students really worked hard and still ended up getting a C.” Just make sure you have a good relationship with them
Very good point! Thank you!!

if you have done some sort of outside work with the professor and they also happen to be your professor thats the absolute best scenario IMO.

I did a research thing with one of my LOR writers, and another was the advisor in a club I lead, and a third was the head of the tutoring department where I put in a ton of effort as a TA. I did well in all of their classes but I don't think they really wrote about that as much as they wrote about the other experiences that I had.

If they like you, they won't care that much that you had a B. obv aim for A's in classes that you are thinking of a potential LOR, but the past is the past.