Letter of Rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Melissa, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Melissa

Melissa Junior Member

Some schools say they require a letter of recommendation from your pre-med advisory panel. I am confused as to what exactly this is. I have a pre-med advisor but we do not have a panel at my school. Also, to be honest I very rarely go to my pre-med advisor. I usually go to my advisor for my major. So if I do not have a pre-med panel what should I do? And if I could get a much better letter of rec from a professor or where I volunteer wouldn't it be better to get one from someone who knows me better? Thanks in advance for you help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. biz

biz Member

You would think that the schools would want you to send them letter from people who know you, but almost all the schools I applied to asked specifically for pre-med committee or advisor letters, no exceptions. I didn't know my pre-med advisor well, but he was nice enough to write me a letter b/c he knew of (and disagreed with) the policies at most schools. So my advice is get to know the pre-med advisor, you will need them later.

4. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Melissa,
    I notice that you are from East Lansing? Is your undergrad institution MSU, by any chance? If so, I can help, since I went there as well. MSU does not have a premedical advisory committee. Some schools have these committees, and what applicants generally do is get letters from profs, etc. and submit them to this committee. The committee then generates a "composite letter" and they send that to the schools you applied to. I am SO glad that MSU does not have a committee, because that type of letter sounds so impersonal. (DISCLAIMER: I've never read one though, so what do I know !) Anyway, I never went to any of the pre-med advisors at MSU. I had a professor that I knew well, who wasn't my actual advisor but advised me as if he was, write a letter for me. In his letter, he mentioned that he had me for three classes and was my advisor as well. Really, the schools don't know who your "pre-med advisor" actually was and I doubt they will launch an investigation. Most of the secondaries I got said to send the committee letter OR three prof letters. Let me know if you really are from MSU (ha, if not, my post was sort of a waste!!)

5. Melissa

Melissa Junior Member

Doc OC-
    Yes I do go to MSU. Do you currently go there or did you graduate? I'm a fifth year student so I really do not have contact with my pre-med advisor. I know that if I called her and asked for one, she would give it to me but it would be very generic because I have not been in contact with her in almost 2 years. So you said that you can send 3 professor letters of rec instead. Do they have to be all science professors? This annoys me so much because I have so many wonderful volunteer experiences that I have had and had leadership positions in that I know would give me excellent letters of rec. So do you advise just getting a letter from my pre-med advisor and just kissing her butt alot to get a good letter or what? Thanks for you help and everyone else's!

6. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At Wayne State, they say they require the committee letter OR three faculty letters. But when I had my interview, my interviewer asked why I did not have a letter from a work or volunteer supervisor since I had done so much in that area. I told him that the secondary said to send three faculty letters so I did! Apparently it would have been okay if i had sent a letter from someone else.
    At MSU-CHM, they ask for, and I quote "three letter from individuals". that's as specific as they got. I still sent three faculty letters. I got their secondary, but haven't heard about an interview.
    At MSU-COM, they give you two forms, and ANYONE can fill them out except immediate family. They stress ANYONE too, because they want people who know you well.
    At U of M, they ask for one non-science and two science letters.

So really, it depends on what they school stipulates. My self-appointed "advisor" ( I say this because I do not like my university-assigned advisor and I also do not like the pre-med advisors) happens to have taught me in three classes. He really was who has advised me on all pre-med type matters, so his letter served as a faculty and pre-med advisor letter for me. I didn't send any letters to any schools that were from an actual "pre-med" advisor.
    I graduated from MSU in May of 1999. I stuck around for another year and took a few grad courses, TA'd for awhile, and retook the MCAT, then applied last June. I still live here, but I am moving to Maine in January. (Know anyone who is looking for an apt for next semester? If so, let me know, I need to sublet mine!!)