Letter of Reccomendation questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ankitn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a couple questions.
1) Are there any websites/excel files that list med schools and the reccomendations they require?
2) Can a committee letter replace a science professor's letter (I only have 1 science professor letter but I do have a committee letter)

Members don't see this ad.

I had a couple questions.
1) Are there any websites/excel files that list med schools and the reccomendations they require?
2) Can a committee letter replace a science professor's letter (I only have 1 science professor letter but I do have a committee letter)

1. I'd check the individual school's website for LOR requirements.

2. A committee letter is usually enough for the vast majority of schools. If you have one, you technically don't need any others.

Not sure if this is entirely correct, but it has been for all of the schools I've applied to so far.

Attachments

• Med School LOR Reqs.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 218
Members don't see this ad :)
I re-checked a bunch of schools on that list. Most of them are accurate. In a few cases, when I looked at the school's actual guidelines, it was clear that they're actually a *little* less strict than the list suggests.

For example, the list says that UofC-Pritzker requires 2 letters from science faculty, but their website actually says that "At least 2 letters should be written by individuals who can speak specifically to your potential for success in a rigorous science curriculum."

Loophole! Having done lots of stats, computer programming, and fMRI with my psychology advisers, they can certainly speak to my potential for success in a rigorous science curriculum, even though they're technically not considered science faculty.

I did make sure to tell the profs who wrote the letters that I'm substituting for science faculty letters that I was using them that way, so they could emphasize the scientific rigor of what we worked on together.

I'm reviving this thread because I don't want to repost, and the above attached file is what I'm referring to.

If the above posted file is correct, it seems that med schools are flexible on the non-science LOR. Honestly, I could get one, I just don't feel that my English or history profs can say a ton about me, and I don't want to waste one of my 5 LOR's on a mediocre letter.

So here's the plan:
  • 2 science LORs (1 from CC Orgo prof with PhD, one TBA from Univ.)
  • 1 from MD (6,000hrs of clinical experience - worked together for ~3yr)
  • 1 from research director (haven't decided if it will be from my clinical or lab research...)
  • 1 from RN (cosigned by MD who runs the program) with overseas medial missions project that I'll be working on.
So that's 5 letters (within the range of most schools) that I feel highlight my notable accomplishments and give a well-rounded picture of who I am.

How does it look? (Lizzy, can you comment?) Can I skip the humanities LOR?

P.S. (So you have context, I have a 3.7 GPA from a UC, MCAT TBA, California resident)

Don't make me repost this :)

what if a research advisor gives you a grade, can that count as a science Faculty letter?

I don't know why it doesn't mention committee letters. I won't be getting a committee letter.

I think getting one from a humanities person could work very well for you. But if you don't have anyone that could speak about you very strongly then go with the RN. I think you should be fine!

For my apps this was my recipe. 6 LORs and a committee "cover" letter.
  • 2 Science recommendations (one from Orgo prof and Orgo TA and one from my adviser for my major who was also the head TA for one of my bio classes)
  • 1 from an MD (worked as a paid medical assistant for them for a year)
  • 1 from my Italian teacher who I had for 1 year
  • 1 from my lab PI who is a med school professor as well
  • 1 from an MD, Ph.D, MPH who was the professor for a public health class I took

I think getting one from a humanities person could work very well for you. But if you don't have anyone that could speak about you very strongly then go with the RN. I think you should be fine!

For my apps this was my recipe. 6 LORs and a committee "cover" letter.
  • 2 Science recommendations (one from Orgo prof and Orgo TA and one from my adviser for my major who was also the head TA for one of my bio classes)
  • 1 from an MD (worked as a paid medical assistant for them for a year)
  • 1 from my Italian teacher who I had for 1 year
  • 1 from my lab PI who is a med school professor as well
  • 1 from an MD, Ph.D, MPH who was the professor for a public health class I took

Thanks for the answer! Well, I believe that my science letter will speak well of me personally (I'm very friendly with the prof) and the letters from both the MD I worked for as well as the RN with the missionary gig should be very personal. The only ones that might be slightly dry are the ones from the second science prof (don't have that one lined up yet) and the research PI.

My main concern, I guess, is skipping the humanities letter in favor of keeping my letter count at 5. Quality over quantity, right?

I'm bumping this for the evening folks to respond.