Letter of Recomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StevesDrag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Am a final year Undergraduate student,Am planning to get some Recommendation Letters from my Teachers...
In one of my department ,my resident is agreed to give a LOR, But he said he don`t have seal/stamp....he can just the sign the paper if am preparing the letter.
is it enough ?
1) if am using this LOR after 2 years , is there will be any validity issue ?

2)is it important to get LOR from a Professor ? or just a resident is enough ?

3)do we need to get an LOR in a Hospital Letter head or just in a Paper with seal is enough ?

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost, welcome to SDN. Second order of business, you might want to change your status from 'medical student' to 'pre-med'. Now onto business:

1) if am using this LOR after 2 years , is there will be any validity issue ?
There's no problem with using a couple letters that are a few years old, just be sure to have recent (<1 year) letters as well.

2)is it important to get LOR from a Professor ? or just a resident is enough ?
You definitely want a letter from professor (as opposed to a grad student or TA) or an attending physician (as opposed to a resident or nurse)

3)do we need to get an LOR in a Hospital Letter head or just in a Paper with seal is enough ?
If your letter writer has an official letterhead (affiliated with the hospital/university/institution) then it would be a good idea to include this, as well as a signature, on the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
A two year old letter is not going to carry much weight. You will need ones more recent than that.

You will probably need at least two letters from professors that taught you. A letter from a physician (resident or otherwise) is a nice bonus, but it is not necessary for most schools. It certainly won't replace your science faculty letter.

If your writers do not have an institutional letterhead then just a signed letter will suffice.

Your English is abysmal so interpreting what you wrote required a lot of guess-work. Maybe you can write well but just didn't try for this forum, but your PS and secondaries will need to be infinitely better. It is probably too late to apply this year if you're just now thinking about getting letters, so maybe you should improve your application, and your English, for the next year and apply early next summer.

Good luck.

Why exactly do you want a letter from a physician?...

Why exactly do you want a letter from a physician?...

1 DO letter is required for DO schools. Otherwise, 1 MD letter from the physician you're shadowing can be.. illuminating? Shows your behavior around patients / wards?

The professor letters are most important. The next most important letter is from somebody who supervised your most important EC (could be research).

1 DO letter is required for DO schools.

OP never stated where he/she was applying. I just figured MD.

Otherwise, 1 MD letter from the physician you're shadowing can be.. illuminating? Shows your behavior around patients / wards?

A lot of the question marks there. lol. From what I hear, LOR from physicians are useless.

Why do I get the impression that the follow up post will explain he is a Nigerian prince who needs us to send him money to help get LORs?

Letters should be relevant to you personally, updated, and on official letterhead.

OP never stated where he/she was applying. I just figured MD.

A lot of the question marks there. lol. From what I hear, LOR from physicians are useless.

All LOR's say something. An adcom member told me they read them all, so...

I think the whole point of a LOR is to lend support to an applicant by showing some insight into that applicants character etc. I was told in my exit interview at UNCSOM essentially that I should shuffle my letters and get some new ones for this next application cycle, but keep the one written by a physician. The same was told to me by a contact who told me she had her for-fun dance instructor write her a LOR, and considering that she went to Duke SOM and is the chief of staff of a hospital now I tend to heed her advice. Its about WHAT THE LETTERS SAY, not who wrote them.

All LOR's say something. An adcom member told me they read them all, so...

I totally agree. I'm just saying I rather have a letter from professor or PI rather than a doctor I shadowed for a day.

I'm just saying I rather have a letter from professor or PI rather than a doctor I shadowed for a day.

For people who actually got significant clinical experience, a LOR from a physician could be extremely beneficial. On the flip side, I think LORs from professors are useless. They have our transcripts and all professors will say essentially something similar. A PI would be good, but better if youre an MD PhD candidate or going to a research heavy school (like Pritzker) in my opinion.