Letter of Recommendation advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applications

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently asked a dentist for a letter of recommendation, and he told me that if I shadowed for 25 more hours then he would write the letter for me. However, this dentist is near my university, and I am at home for the summer, which is hundreds of miles away. So, I cannot shadow him more until the fall. I would like to submit my dental school application this summer asap. Should I call his office and ask if I can put down his name on my AADSAS application? It didn't seem like he gave me a yes/no answer at the time, and I do not want to be rude. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing - The Seven Stages
Even if you're going to put his name on your application, it won't be finished until the letter's received. 25 hours of shadowing is quite low for most schools' requirement/recommendation. I would suggest maybe shadow a local dentist near your home if you're not too busy during the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies! "Shadowing-The Seven Stages" was so painfully true haha. I have 80 hours of shadowing so far, but they have been with various dentists. I have a few more questions:
1) If I shadowed an orthodontist for 4 hours one day, should I bother writing that on my application?
2)For the hours of volunteering, shadowing, working, etc, did you just round or guess the amount of hours? I never recorded the times.
3) I saw that some dental schools require 100 hours of shadowing. If I haven't met that requirement, should I wait until I do before submitting my application?
Thank you again for your help.

1) If you have enough room for that on your application, you might as well put it down. Have you shadowed another orthodontist with more hours?

2) I rounded.

3) I actually don't know. You could call the schools and ask.