Letter of Recommendation advice please??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so last semester I studied abroad and interned at mental health outpatient facility for individuals with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and unspecified personality disorders. It was a really great experience and my supervisor really really liked me. I asked him to write me a letter of recommendation for an REU this summer and he agreed. I emailed him about it on like December 25th, just sending him my resume, my research interests, transcript, and link to submit the letter; however, he still has not replied. When should I email him again? The letter is due January 31st and I'm just getting really concerned that I'll have to ask someone else last minute.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You emailed him less than two weeks ago, on Christmas Day. A lot of people are still out on vacation, so keep that in mind.

It's fine to send a quick follow-up along the lines of "Happy new year! Thank you again for agreeing to write a letter of recommendation to support my application to [XYZ]. As the program's application deadline is approaching, can you confirm that you will be able to send the letter by January 31? Please let me know if you have any questions about the supporting materials I sent on [DATE]. Sincerely, [YOUR NAME]"

Reactions: 1 users
You emailed him less than two weeks ago, on Christmas Day. A lot of people are still out on vacation, so keep that in mind.

It's fine to send a quick follow-up along the lines of "Happy new year! Thank you again for agreeing to write a letter of recommendation to support my application to [XYZ]. As the program's application deadline is approaching, can you confirm that you will be able to send the letter by January 31? Please let me know if you have any questions about the supporting materials I sent on [DATE]. Sincerely, [YOUR NAME]"

Is it too soon though? I think I emailed him the day after Christmas, not the day of.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd wait a week and then send a gentle follow-up reminder as @MamaPhD noted seeking confirmation that he will provide it.

I know the process is anxiety provoking, but no need to panic yet!

Last edited:
I'd wait a week and then send a gentle follow-up reminder as @MamaPhD noted seeking confirmation that he will provide it.

I know the process is anxiety provoking, but no need to panic yet!

But if he still doesn't reply, and I can't get through by phone, won't it be too late to ask for a letter from someone else?

I'd wait until next week to follow up. If you have a hunch that he might not follow through, get a backup as soon as possible.

In the future, act fast and send your materials as soon as you get a verbal commitment from a recommender while it is fresh in their mind.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd wait until next week to follow up. If you have a hunch that he might not follow through, get a backup as soon as possible.

In the future, act fast and send your materials as soon as you get a verbal commitment from a recommender while it is fresh in their mind.

I'm mainly nervous because he's in another country. I can't just go to his office and ask.

If you do have reason to believe that he won't come through for you, email him the reminder now, and if you don't hear back from him in 4-5 days, contact a backup person and ask if the person would be willing to write a letter by the end of January. That'd leave the backup person almost 3 weeks to write/send it. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I wouldn’t stress too much yet. One of my recommenders was very last minute. Another professor of mine said that was pretty standard. Even though the one who was down to the wire had several months of notice, it didn’t matter. Some are just prone to waiting until the last minute. I think a follow up email is fine but next week. I wouldn’t count last week since most people don’t work then.