Letter of recommendation advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have two professors that I can ask for a LOR. One knew me by face last year (not sure by name) and I talked to him a bit during office hours, but I am not sure he remembers me now or has anything extraordinary to say about me. I did well in the two classes I took with him but not particularly the best.
Another professor personally emailed me last semester congratulating me on doing well in the class and saying how I was one of the top students. He said to contact him if I ever need anything and he would give me his highest recommendations. However, I never spoke to him in person and he doesn't know me personally. He would be willing to set up a meeting to talk though if I wanted to ask him.
Which professor would you choose to write a LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have two professors that I can ask for a LOR. One knew me by face last year (not sure by name) and I talked to him a bit during office hours, but I am not sure he remembers me now or has anything extraordinary to say about me. I did well in the two classes I took with him but not particularly the best.
Another professor personally emailed me last semester congratulating me on doing well in the class and saying how I was one of the top students. He said to contact him if I ever need anything and he would give me his highest recommendations. However, I never spoke to him in person and he doesn't know me personally. He would be willing to set up a meeting to talk though if I wanted to ask him.
Which professor would you choose to write a LOR?

That one.

If he doesn't know you - just do a pre-write for him. List out 5 things you want him to include in the letter - done.

That one.

If he doesn't know you - just do a pre-write for him. List out 5 things you want him to include in the letter - done.

I had a similar professor who didn't know me by face, but we got to know each other pretty well through the whole recommendation letter writing process. I would go with the latter.

Members don't see this ad :)
That one.

I had a similar professor who didn't know me by face, but we got to know each other pretty well through the whole recommendation letter writing process. I would go with the latter.
Thanks, I was leaning towards this professor too. Just to give more of a backstory, I actually asked that first professor for a LOR last year and he said yes, we met, but I ended up taking a gap year and so I would contact him next year if I still wanted a LOR. The next semester I took the class with the second professor who gave me that e-mail, so I was unsure if I should switch my LOR from the first to the second.

Thanks, I was leaning towards this professor too. Just to give more of a backstory, I actually asked that first professor for a LOR last year and he said yes, we met, but I ended up taking a gap year and so I would contact him next year if I still wanted a LOR. The next semester I took the class with the second professor who gave me that e-mail, so I was unsure if I should switch my LOR from the first to the second.

Why not both?

I already have another science LOR and I heard you should only have two. I also have a PI, TA professor, and humanities LOR, so I don't want to have too many.

Just go make sure.

I was applying and I had like a committee LOR, a non science LOR, and a science LOR - thought I was set.
Utah made me submit 5 letters total. I had to rush two of my profs to write me a LOR - that was crazy.

Add-on Question:
Is it possible to ask for LORs and reserve them just in case you need more?