Letter of Recommendation Chat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm a post-baccalaureate student and I've asked one of my old professors (from the Fall) to write me a letter. She happily accepted, but asked me to come back for a "chat". I'm a little worried about said chat to be honest. I'd imagine she'd probably ask me about my motivation for medical school and the like, but does anyone have experience with this? What should I be expecting?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I had one prof that wanted an interview along with a copy of my resume and transcripts. I thought it be low key but the moment I sat down she started firing questions at me. I was pretty shocked, but at the end she did give me some feedback on my interview skills and things to do and not to do at the real interview. So it the chat could actually be helpful. She did write the letter.

So I'm a post-baccalaureate student and I've asked one of my old professors (from the Fall) to write me a letter. She happily accepted, but asked me to come back for a "chat". I'm a little worried about said chat to be honest.
This is a sign the prof wants to actually get to know you before writing what would otherwise be a lukewarm/generic LOR. This is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, all of my profs so far have asked me to do this. I agree with the previous posters that it is a good sign that they want to get to know you a little better in order to write you a good letter. One of my profs is even going as far as working on my personal statement with me, and insists on waiting to write the letter until after I've revised and made my personal statement presentable. He's obviously the exception to the rule, though :D

I think what you should expect, for the most part, is not really a formal interview-style grilling, but think of it more like a conversation between a good friend that you haven't seen in a long time (professionally, of course). Your prof will probably not start off asking you directly "why medicine", but she'll probably want to know what you've been up to since graduation, what kinds of activities you've been doing in your off-year to prepare for med school, and (obviously) how you reached the decision that medical school was for you. If anything, it'll give you a feel for actually saying these things out loud, which you may or may not have done in the past (I know I never really had to). I always get nervous before these types of things too, so know that your nervousness is quite natural, and that you'll be totally fine!

At my school having 'a chat' to get an LOR was pretty standard. Be sure to bring the items that shiftingimage mentioned, as well as a copy of your Personal Statement (even if it is just a draft), whether asked for or not. This will enable the prof to feel she knows you well, and also to be able to inject commentary about your personality/interpersonal-communication skills that a med school would find desireable.

This is a sign the prof wants to actually get to know you before writing what would otherwise be a lukewarm/generic LOR. This is good.

The chat will help her remember you and your (good) qualities. It will also allow her to determine your motivations, etc. for medicine. It is a good thing, not a bad thing. This is your chance to help her write a strong LOR rather than a generic "cut-and-paste your name here" type of letter.

I was lucky enough to have 3 professors who already knew me well personally, so I didn't have any LOR chats. I can definitely see why they'd want to get acquainted with you, though.

Cool. Thanks for the replies! Hopefully everything goes well. :scared: :D

When I requested LORs I actually asked the professors to get together so I could give them their packets of info and talk about my motivation for medicine, etc. I think that most of your professors will know you well but don't really know why you're motivated to study medicine and it's a good thing to inform them so they can write a more complete letter.