Letter of Recommendation From a Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drawingdentist

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am starting to panic because someone told me that we can't use letters of recommendation from professors who taught us prereqs at a community college.

How true is this statement? Would it hurt my application in any way?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything that specifically prohibits you from getting a community college letter. Without a doubt though I think that it the letter will have a much lower impact when compared to a letter from a 4-year university. Most schools will assume that the rigor of the class at a 4 year is much higher than it is at a community college.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I believe my best letter was the one I had from my community college professor who taught me my Bio pre-reqs. In my opinion, the biology I took at my CC was far more difficult and prepared me well for my 4-year university upper div bio classes. I don't think it would affect you negatively. It's about the content within the letter and how well the professor knows you, not the stature of his/her institution imo.

Reactions: 1 user