Letter of recommendation from a foreign (Europe) MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I searched the forums for an answer to this but couldnt find a clear cut answer. I was just wondering if letters of recommendation from doctors have to be from US MD's? Lets say I get a letter of rec from a doctor I shadowed in Europe is that looked down upon? or would it hinder me in any way?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If they speak highly of you, it couldn't possibly be a negative on your application. You don't need a letter of recommendation from a physician for US MD schools.

Conventional wisdom is that letters from physicians aren't particularly useful (except for DO schools) as they will have little way to assess your work habits, study skills, etc. In general, a letter from a foreign physician is even less helpful because presumably they did not train in the US and therefore, would have little knowledge of what it takes to succeed in a US medical school. So, the letter won't hurt, but it should not replace letters from traditional professors and others with knowledge of your academic skills.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have much use for US MD letters, especially shadowing letters!
What are some qualities/perspectives that you guys highly value/stand out from foreign doctor's shadowing/clinical LOR?

What are some qualities/perspectives that you guys highly value/stand out from foreign doctor's shadowing/clinical LOR?
While we have little use for domestic MD letters we have no use at all for shadowing letters from overseas.

You do realize what a necrobump this is?

While we have little use for domestic MD letters we have no use at all for shadowing letters from overseas.

You do realize what a necrobump this is?
Thanks for your info.
Yes, I am aware. Good advices never get old.

We don't have much use for US MD letters, especially shadowing letters!
What if it's an MD letter for a clinic you volunteered in for three years, and the physician is able to speak on your character?

Maybe it was just me and the particular schools that I applied to, but I shadowed a physician in Europe and he wrote me a letter. During my interviews they asked about my experiences there and how it was great that I traveled abroad. I talked about the pros and cons (of their healthcare system) that I saw while I was over there and we had a good discussion about how it contrasted with the US healthcare system. I think it doesn't hurt to add this rec letter to your app as long as you have all the other required rec letters. If they can write a letter that speaks highly of your work ethic and character, it's probably better than one from a professor that scrambled to write a letter last minute. My physics professor wrote a terrible one (he even spelled my name wrong) that was only a paragraph...even though I've known him for over three years. :/ The European physician wrote a glowing letter that was about a page and a half long.

Maybe it was just me and the particular schools that I applied to, but I shadowed a physician in Europe and he wrote me a letter. During my interviews they asked about my experiences there and how it was great that I traveled abroad. I talked about the pros and cons (of their healthcare system) that I saw while I was over there and we had a good discussion about how it contrasted with the US healthcare system. I think it doesn't hurt to add this rec letter to your app as long as you have all the other required rec letters. If they can write a letter that speaks highly of your work ethic and character, it's probably better than one from a professor that scrambled to write a letter last minute. My physics professor wrote a terrible one (he even spelled my name wrong) that was only a paragraph...even though I've known him for over three years. :/ The European physician wrote a glowing letter that was about a page and a half long.
Was this shadowing in Europe through an organized program (mission trip, internship program, study abroad, etc)?

What if it's an MD letter for a clinic you volunteered in for three years, and the physician is able to speak on your character?
If your employer or PI happens to be a physician, the letter is no less valuable because the writer happens to be a physician. Otherwise, physician letters are useless and shadowing letters are complete fluff. They are universally, blandly positive in a way that reflects more about the writer than the subject.

Instead of a "character" letter, send a link: https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf
This way there is a chance we could get well-supported evidence of your strengths and areas in development.

If your employer or PI happens to be a physician, the letter is no less valuable because the writer happens to be a physician. Otherwise, physician letters are useless and shadowing letters are complete fluff. They are universally, blandly positive in a way that reflects more about the writer than the subject.

Instead of a "character" letter, send a link: https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf
This way there is a chance we could get well-supported evidence of your strengths and areas in development.
It's sad to see a mere physician's letter carry such little weight in admission :(
Thank you for the link. Allows the physician letter to carry more weight hopefully

Rather does the writer have an professional relationship with that applicant of sufficient depth/time as to write a useful evaluation for an admission committee.

Thank you for your inputs. Yes, that is the key. I have a physician letter (who's a physician supervisor from my volunteering) who can speak for my out-of-class ability and potential to become a successful physician at the very least. Although he didn't give me a grade or taught me in class, but his letters would have some qualities that was not observed by my science profs. I believe that would be a nice addition to my letter packet.

The issue isnt that the writer is a physician or not. Rather does the writer have an professional relationship with that applicant of sufficient depth/time as to write a useful evaluation for an admission committee. Since most letters from physicians that applicant's submit are full of praise and recommendations but do not provide any evidence from the mostly short, passive, observational shadowing experiences that are based on, the letters are mostly useless to an adcom.
My physician letter will be able to speak on intimate conversations he has overheard of me with patients and interactions with said patients. Will this add more merit to the MD letter? If I tell my doc to write the letter detailing specific scenarios will that be received better than simply writing Neglektor is a caring and kind individual? Or are physician letters that aren't shadowing based but volunteer based still kind of meh in comparison to a professor letter?

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn

My physician letter will be able to speak on intimate conversations he has overheard of me with patients and interactions with said patients. Will this add more merit to the MD letter? If I tell my doc to write the letter detailing specific scenarios will that be received better than simply writing Neglektor is a caring and kind individual? Or are physician letters that aren't shadowing based but volunteer based still kind of meh in comparison to a professor letter?

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn
They're always meh, because they always are glowing. LORs are always best when they are letters of evaluation, not merely vouching for your good character.

Reactions: 1 user