Letter of Recommendation from an Upper Division Prof vs a Lower Division Prof

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cheezer

Do medical schools have a preference? Or does it not matter and "the stronger the letter the better"?

Also, what is your experience with asking professors you haven't seen in awhile for LORs? I just sent out a bunch of form emails requesting LORs to professors I've taken over the past year. I didn't know them well, per say, but I wasn't some invisible entity in their class. They gave me A's, I asked a few questions in class, went to a few office hours, and when class finished, I left.

Anyway, the emails basically attempt to remind them of who I am and ask if they can write a "good" letter for me.

Members don't see this ad.

The better a professor knows you, the better the LOR. What class the professor teaches doesn't matter as much as a personal vs generic letter...

I'd recommend at least making sure the prof has a PhD though, because TAs aren't as well respected.

Med schools have a preference for letters from people that know your personality outside of class in addition to academic performance. LOR's from professors who know you well are much better than somewhat generic ones from higher-level profs. And I would definitely make sure they have a PhD. If there's a chance they won't remember you it probably won't be the best letter.