Letter of Recommendation from non-science Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am planning on getting one letter from my chem lab professor. But I am wondering about another letter I was planning on getting.

I have known this professor since my freshman year. I have had her for 3 classes and she has also evaluated my playing for all 5 semesters I have attended school. This past semester, she was my advisor for the teaching class I took. She observed my teaching twice a weeks and we had weekly meetings.

Needless to say, we are very close. I know she can write me a solid recommendation but am not sure how much a letter from her would help me. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am planning on getting one letter from my chem lab professor. But I am wondering about another letter I was planning on getting.

I have known this professor since my freshman year. I have had her for 3 classes and she has also evaluated my playing for all 5 semesters I have attended school. This past semester, she was my advisor for the teaching class I took. She observed my teaching twice a weeks and we had weekly meetings.

Needless to say, we are very close. I know she can write me a solid recommendation but am not sure how much a letter from her would help me. Thoughts?

Are you hesitant just because she's a non-science professor? Some schools require a non-science letter. Or strongly prefer it. Someone who has observed you teaching is a good reference.

That sounds like an awesome letter from a non-science prof. Most schools require two letters from science profs and one non-science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was hesitant because she isn't a science professor. So you need 2 from science professors and one from a non-science professor? Do we need a letter from someone who isn't a professor- like someone we volunteered with?

Yes, I was hesitant because she isn't a science professor. So you need 2 from science professors and one from a non-science professor? Do we need a letter from someone who isn't a professor- like someone we volunteered with?

Many schools require one from a non-science professor. If you are doing research, many schools also want one from your PI. It depends on the school really. I just made sure I had all my bases covered and got at least 2 science professor letters, 1 non science letter, 1 from my PI, and one from my volunteering.

I'm not aware of any schools that require this. Just 2 science and one non-science should be fine. Some schools also require letters from everyone you have researched with.

A letter from a volunteer supervisor isn't required but if you can get a strong one from them, it can only help. Only potential concern is that some schools do set a limit on the number of individual letters they will look at. However, you can sometimes have more letters in a committee letter. My post-bacc recommends that non-trads get more letters than average, so I had letters from professors, multiple PIs, and a volunteer supervisor go into mine.

What letters are required for the AMCAS application?

None. The individual schools set their own letter requirements. AMCAS is just the delivery service when it comes to letters. You designate which letters go to which schools.

Most schools want 2 science, 1 non-science prof. Additional letters are welcome to a certain maximum, but not required. They can be quite helpful though. Many people I know aimed for five letters overall: the three letters from professors, 1 from their PI, and 1 from another activity (volunteering, work, etc.)