Letter of recommendation from non-science professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabberwocky12

Pharmaceutical Wizard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If the school doesn't specifically say a science teacher, would it be reasonable to get an LOR from a public speaking teacher? I beasted the heck out of her class and she thought I was very personable with a wide range of topics I could discuss with people for class.

I don't know how to phrase this appropriately, but I guess a close way would be to ask would her letter have as much "value" as a science professor?

Also, what do you guys do if you find a teacher who would write a LOR but you won't need it for another year? It's public speaking so I don't think I'm going to see her again really but how do you keep the good feelings fresh in their mind for writing the LOR? Can they write it and you hold onto it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should go to www.pharmcas.org and search to see what kind of letters your prospective schools require (go to School directory). To be on the safe side, you should have at least one of your letter from a pharmacist and one from a science professor, the other one can be a non-science professor, advisor from an organization, etc. (depending on the school). I submitted one letter from my science professor, one from my Spanish prof, and one from my pharmacist, and everything was fine.

I do believe that if the letter from the speech professor is very strong, it would be more favorable compared to a weak letter from a science professor, but again, you pretty much have to have one letter from a science professor. You'll be doing a lot of science in pharm. school, so they want to know if you can handle the course load.

You should go to www.pharmcas.org and search to see what kind of letters your prospective schools require (go to School directory). To be on the safe side, you should have at least one of your letter from a pharmacist and one from a science professor, the other one can be a non-science professor, advisor from an organization, etc. (depending on the school). I submitted one letter from my science professor, one from my Spanish prof, and one from my pharmacist, and everything was fine.

I do believe that if the letter from the speech professor is very strong, it would be more favorable compared to a weak letter from a science professor, but again, you pretty much have to have one letter from a science professor. You'll be doing a lot of science in pharm. school, so they want to know if you can handle the course load.

your advice is useful
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
If the school doesn't specify, I am sure its fine. I don't have one from a pharmacist because I only have general medical volunteer experience, no pharmacy. I have one from a psychology prof that I did research with, physics professor, volunteer manager from a place I volunteered for 3 years and the ED from an organization I served on the board of directors for. You should be fine!

Your school will probably require more than one letter and if so I think having a non science rec will show you are a more well rounded individual, especially if you do well in that class. But you'll definitely need a science rec too!