Quantcast

Letter of Recommendation from TA?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WindChaser

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have used the search function but my case is a bit weird. I haven't been able to connect with any of my non science professors because of how large my school is and how large the class sizes are. I had asked my TA who knows me very well and is willing to write me a super strong letter of recommendation with a lot of specific detail, but she said the professor won't co-sign the letter because they only sign letters for students they have interacted with extensively.

Should I use this letter or find another professor that knows nothing about me? What if I can't find one to agree to write me a letter?

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have used the search function but my case is a bit weird. I haven't been able to connect with any of my non science professors because of how large my school is and how large the class sizes are. I had asked my TA who knows me very well and is willing to write me a super strong letter of recommendation with a lot of specific detail, but she said the professor won't co-sign the letter because they only sign letters for students they have interacted with extensively.

Should I use this letter or find another professor that knows nothing about me? What if I can't find one to agree to write me a letter?

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

If this is for medical school apps, then a TA letter won't fly. Worst comes to worst, contact all your non science professors with whom you received an A- or better in and ask for a generic LOR to fulfill the requirement. Only use this letter if you have to (i.e. specific non science faculty letter), otherwise try for a volunteering letter or clinical letter.

If this is for some other program, then it's fine. Use what you got.

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds Clinical & Research
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would discourage you from submitting a LOR written by a TA. It's not going to work for medical school.

On the other hand, I'm wondering ...

If you schedule a face-to-face appointment with the non-science professor (who allegedly won't co-sign the LOR because the professor has not interacted with you extensively) ... it is possible that the professor will be willing to review and edit a detailed letter prepared by the TA, and thereafter sign the letter - especially if you are an "A" student in the professor's class.

It can't hurt to ask ... so, feel free to exercise initiative. Seriously, you have nothing to lose by asking, eh? Actually, if you make an appointment with the professor, s(he) may take the time to become familiar with you. So, make sure you bring your c.v., as well as your academic transcript and a concise summary of research experience with you.

Just my suggestion, that's all.

Thank you.

Last edited: