Quantcast

Letter of recommendation? How to approach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for reading and thanks for helping. The story is that I asked several of my professors for letter of recommendation. I asked 4 professors, and one of them in person. I attended office hours for all of them, and I met with them outside of the classroom.

One of them, I asked her in March, and she made me submit additional information like a supplementary application, why I wanted to go to Dental School etc. etc? My grades etc? Like a survey, and after that she told me she could write me a "pretty good letter." We ended our exchange with me letting her know I would email her with at least 1 month prior to submit. The time has passed and now we are in almost July, I emailed her three weeks ago about the letter nothing, no reply back. I've seen her around campus, but I think she has not seen me. I wonder if she saw me one day, and I did not say Hi. I tend to be extremely shy, and awkward around people.

Then, one of the professors (OrgoII & Orgo I Lab) that I asked a letter, never replied back, and then suddenly last week I get an email from him saying, "Oh I forgot to email you back, I apologize, yada yada, i am working on letters today, do you still need one?" The email came at 8am, I did not reply back until 5pm, does it mean he won't write me a letter? I haven't heard back from him? Does it mean that I had to see her email at exactly 8 am for her to write me one?

A third professor asked for additional info as well, I went all the way to campus and put in her mailbox because she was not on campus. Nothing from her either.

I worked extremely hard this past semesters, I got B's in their classes, but mostly because of unfair grading 73 was a B, but a 87 was an A, I ended with an 83 in the class overall. I always scored way above the mean in all the exams.

I am getting tiny bit frustrated with this. I understand is summer, and professors are out, but what should I do? I am planning on submitting soon, but I have 0 letters in.

Do I email all of them again? I feel I am stalking them. It's not fair.

By the way, english is not my first language. Sorry!

TeethAreMyThing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found that the professors who wrote my letters, and even the dentists for that matter, have so much going on that several polite reminders were enough to get the letters done in a timely manner. It sounds like this is what you have been doing with no luck. Are there other professors that you could ask?

Reactions: 1 user

WolfsBane

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for reading and thanks for helping. The story is that I asked several of my professors for letter of recommendation. I asked 4 professors, and one of them in person. I attended office hours for all of them, and I met with them outside of the classroom.

One of them, I asked her in March, and she made me submit additional information like a supplementary application, why I wanted to go to Dental School etc. etc? My grades etc? Like a survey, and after that she told me she could write me a "pretty good letter." We ended our exchange with me letting her know I would email her with at least 1 month prior to submit. The time has passed and now we are in almost July, I emailed her three weeks ago about the letter nothing, no reply back. I've seen her around campus, but I think she has not seen me. I wonder if she saw me one day, and I did not say Hi. I tend to be extremely shy, and awkward around people.

Then, one of the professors (OrgoII & Orgo I Lab) that I asked a letter, never replied back, and then suddenly last week I get an email from him saying, "Oh I forgot to email you back, I apologize, yada yada, i am working on letters today, do you still need one?" The email came at 8am, I did not reply back until 5pm, does it mean he won't write me a letter? I haven't heard back from him? Does it mean that I had to see her email at exactly 8 am for her to write me one?

A third professor asked for additional info as well, I went all the way to campus and put in her mailbox because she was not on campus. Nothing from her either.

I worked extremely hard this past semesters, I got B's in their classes, but mostly because of unfair grading 73 was a B, but a 87 was an A, I ended with an 83 in the class overall. I always scored way above the mean in all the exams.

I am getting tiny bit frustrated with this. I understand is summer, and professors are out, but what should I do? I am planning on submitting soon, but I have 0 letters in.

Do I email all of them again? I feel I am stalking them. It's not fair.

By the way, english is not my first language. Sorry!

I had a similar experience with my dentist where I asked him a month before the cycle started and he said, sure no problem. June first came and I didn't want to bother him so I asked him if he had received the link I sent him. He replied yes but never uploaded. I then asked him in person and since I was not verified i told him I had another week. After that week he still had not uploaded my LOR so i decided the only way to get it was to be straight up with him. I told him that I needed it asap and that it could not wait. He had it done within 2 days. What I'm trying to say is that the dentist knew I was relying on him he was just procrastinating. I think you should try to get over the awkwardness and tell them hey we spoke a while ago and I need the letter or I will not get an interview. Hopefully if they see that you were relying on them it will make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

AT89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found that the professors who wrote my letters, and even the dentists for that matter, have so much going on that several polite reminders were enough to get the letters done in a timely manner. It sounds like this is what you have been doing with no luck. Are there other professors that you could ask?

I am non-degree seeker student, and all the classes I asked were from my pre-requisites. My orgo-I professor told me he doe snot write letter unless you work for him for 1 year in his lab. I just emailed them again, I am hoping they don't think bad of me for doing so.

AT89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with my dentist where I asked him a month before the cycle started and he said, sure no problem. June first came and I didn't want to bother him so I asked him if he had received the link I sent him. He replied yes but never uploaded. I then asked him in person and since I was not verified i told him I had another week. After that week he still had not uploaded my LOR so i decided the only way to get it was to be straight up with him. I told him that I needed it asap and that it could not wait. He had it done within 2 days. What I'm trying to say is that the dentist knew I was relying on him he was just procrastinating. I think you should try to get over the awkwardness and tell them hey we spoke a while ago and I need the letter or I will not get an interview. Hopefully if they see that you were relying on them it will make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks, I am giving them until July 15th in the request from ADEA, do you think they are procrastinating? I am freaking out that they are not emailing me back through the school email you know, if they at least reply with an, "oh yes I remember you" kind of email, I would relax tiny bit.

jmcunnin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same situation. One science professor won't respond to me after agreeing to write it, and I have no one else to ask. I am a non traditional student as well. Very frustrating. I'm going to email her again, and hope for the best.

caffeine jitters

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry... but what is "not fair" about any of this..?

Also... the grade thing... since when has an 87 ever been an A?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.