Letter of Recommendation if I am an undergraduate teaching assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veekay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering for my science letter of recommendation, could I get the letter from a teacher that I am an undergraduate teaching assistant for? I have already taken the course previously but with a different professor, who I did not really get to know that well, so I was wondering if the teacher I TA for now counts as a valid faculty letter of recommendation? This will be for a physics class!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I was wondering for my science letter of recommendation, could I get the letter from a teacher that I am an undergraduate teaching assistant for? I have already taken the course previously but with a different professor, who I did not really get to know that well, so I was wondering if the teacher I TA for now counts as a valid faculty letter of recommendation? This will be for a physics class!
Many schools specify that they want a science letter from faculty that taught you. Asking a faculty person for whom you are a TA would result in a letter from an employer, which is another category that some premed committees or schools might ask you to provide.

The professor I TA'd for probably gave me one of my strongest letters. I did have him as an instructor before I was a TA, though. Mine wasn't science, though.