Letter of Recommendation problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBLAQ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to request letters of recommendation from professors that I did not talk to but got an A or A- in his/her course? I am applying for this pre-med internship. Yes I know I am really screwed as I did not talk to those science professors.

Members don't see this ad.

In short yes you can request it, yes they'll probably even write it for you if their nice. However, it's most likely going to be a really bland and boring letter. If you absolutely have to a have a science professor write it and you don't know any of them. I suppose it's worth a shot. If it can be any professor though you would be better off getting a more personal letter from someone else who isn't a science professor then bland good student got an A letter from someone you don't know.

Just what I would do however.

Even better, if your course had a lab section, you might try getting your lab supervisor to write it and having the course lecturer co-sign it. That way, it is more personal than it would otherwise be but it still has a professor's name on it, if the LOR requirements for your internship are strict.

They will often write it, althoug it may be a stock letter. You could always try to chat them up once or twice in the next few days or something like that, so at least it's not coming out of NOWHERE.

I had a friend (Johns Hopkins) whose committee required 7 LORs. If you're in that kind of situation, don't worry about it. I think when they ask for that many, they know they can't possibly all be people who know you really well. He ended up asking a teacher he had never met for one, and everything worked out great (got into top 10 school).

You gotta do what you gotta do.

The bright side is that you figured out a chink in your med school application before you even applied to med school (this is for an internship, right?). Great. Now go flirt with your professors for the rest of your undergrad career.