Letter of Recommendation Problems-What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spider367

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my dentist and one science professor recommendations done and mailed. I'm waiting on one final professor who is really nice and whose Bio class I did really well in but who at this point, I can't get into contact with. We've met a couple times where he told me he would make it happen but I can't get him to respond to emails and would like to know if he's remembered it, completed it, or what the heck is happening. Should I abandon this guy for another professor whose class I didn't do as well in, but who I know is on extremely organized, responds to emails very quickly, and could probably have it completed in a couple weeks?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have my dentist and one science professor recommendations done and mailed. I'm waiting on one final professor who is really nice and whose Bio class I did really well in but who at this point, I can't get into contact with. We've met a couple times where he told me he would make it happen but I can't get him to respond to emails and would like to know if he's remembered it, completed it, or what the heck is happening. Should I abandon this guy for another professor whose class I didn't do as well in, but who I know is on extremely organized, responds to emails very quickly, and could probably have it completed in a couple weeks?

Thanks!!

I know how you feel. I have a few LOR's lagging, and I HATE reminding etc.... Have you tried visiting him?

I'm going to give it one-two more weeks with an email by the end of this week. If nothing, then I dunno what I'll do. I'm so nervous by these LORs. Such a pain. But don't worry, Im sure theres lots of other kids with lagging LOR's.

I have tried to visit him at his office but so far every time I've gone (twice) it's been locked and no one answered the door. I guess I'm just gonna try going back at different times of the day to see if he's ever there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!!

Going to his office would be the best solution, but seeing that it failed, try this:

Call his office and leave messages! Attempt to set up a meeting with him this way. Also, try and get in touch with his secretary and see if that person can put you in touch with him some how (via alternate emails, phone numbers, locations).

You could also wander around his office area and ask his neighbors/colleagues if they know where he is, or what he may be up to.

Good luck! :xf:

I have tried to visit him at his office but so far every time I've gone (twice) it's been locked and no one answered the door. I guess I'm just gonna try going back at different times of the day to see if he's ever there.

if you get desperate, sometimes the old school professors at my university publish their home phone number on the "people search" at the school website. mine often don't mind being called before 7 or 8pm.

just a thought

I see your biggest issue at the moment is getting in touch with the professor for your LOR. But also remember how you remind them they agreed to write a letter of recommendation for you is as or more important then receiving that LOR.

for instance whether they have been busy with work, personal life, or forgot and are receiving 5 emails a week this may add to any frustration they have and may be reflected poorly in your LOR. unfortunately at the same time you need this LOR to finalize your application.

the sugestion i can make is from "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch if you have not read it i recommend it. in short as you should do with all your LOR writers is thank them. from a simple card to a small gift. you do not have to wait for them to finish writing the LOR and this gesture most likely will motivate them into writing your letter sooner then later. and this appreciation goes along ways for something a lot of us take for granted.

I had the same problem where my prof told me the letter is ready and she'll upload the letter onto aadsas and then *poof* she disappeared = no letter, can't reach via email. After sending 3 or so letters and waiting for about 3 weeks, I just went ahead and asked another prof, and now I'm all done.

The previous prof still hasn't replied so I'm glad I took the action.

If you have another prof to ask, perhaps that might be faster.

I had the same problem where my prof told me the letter is ready and she'll upload the letter onto aadsas and then *poof* she disappeared = no letter, can't reach via email. After sending 3 or so letters and waiting for about 3 weeks, I just went ahead and asked another prof, and now I'm all done.

The previous prof still hasn't replied so I'm glad I took the action.

If you have another prof to ask, perhaps that might be faster.

That's so rude.

The professor/instructor should at least have the courtesy to decline your letter request, rather than stringing you along! :thumbdown:

Perhaps something devastating happened in her life? Still, she should have notified you.

It's always an excellent idea to have a back up plan ready to employ. :thumbup:

Try asking that professor again and see, if not ask a new professor, It is better to ask multiple professors. More will not hurt you, they will pick the ones that came in the earliest and put those on top and after the limit, they will not read the rest. Also get a professor who will write you a good LOR, if they are not then there is no point in asking them. You can ask any professor, not just science professors. So if you were close to an English professor or a Spanish professor, then ask them.