1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Letter of Recommendation Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by cjfarrell21, Aug 17, 2015.

1. cjfarrell21

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    This I feel like is a stupid question, but I'm slightly curious of the adcoms take.... I submit five LORs through AACOMAS, said school sts per website "it is advisable to limit the additional letters to 5." Would it be frowned upon to send one more additional letter specifically to them, if it were to be written by a DO who is alum, who has connections to the school, AND who I have grown very close to in the past few months.

... I feel like I'm also being slightly neurotic by being afraid I would be looked down on for submitting one more than the "advised" letter amount.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AlteredScale

Administrator Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If the directions state to limit your LORs to 5 then do so. You need to follow directions in this process and taking that risk is IMO not advisable.

Switch out one of your LOR's with that special one you are talking about who has connections to the school.

cjfarrell21 likes this.
  4. cjfarrell21

2+ Year Member

That's what I was thinking too... Just wanted to hear other's advice.

any adcoms have any advice about this? @Goro

5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    One of the things Adcoms look for is the ability to follow simple instructions.

AlteredScale and cjfarrell21 like this.
  6. cjfarrell21

2+ Year Member

Thank you for the advice!

7. TrueWolverine

2+ Year Member

I'm wondering if "limit to 5 additional letters" means the 2 or 3 required plus no more than an additional 5. That's how I read it at least. If that's the case you could have 7-8 letters total. Maybe I'm missing something but that's kind of the vibe I got from it.

swollcat likes this.
  8. AlteredScale

Medical Student
    I'd consider that to be 5 total because they do not specify. I did not give any school more than 4-5 LOR's. That's more than enough to help supplement your application if those LOR's are solid. If I was an AdCom I would favor an app with 2-3 stellar LOR's than 7 LORs that stated "this student received an A in my course...I recommend him/her".

9. Dr. Death

2+ Year Member

I agree, but unfortunately at the undergrad institution that @TrueWolverine and I attend, they send all letters to all schools (free of charge). So I had to send 6 letters to every school. So far I have 3 II so I'm not sure it is a huge problem.

AlteredScale and TrueWolverine like this.
  10. TrueWolverine

2+ Year Member

Yeah I totally agree....like @Dr. Death said though, we basically bundle them into one package that encompasses every school. So by the time I have a package that covers each school I'm up to 4-5 letters plus the 1 or 2 from employers, etc every school gets every letter even if it's not required. Kind of annoying/overkill but it was certainly a cheap way to do it.

Congrats on the interviews by the way Dr. D

AlteredScale likes this.
  11. AlteredScale

Medical Student
    Ah I see, well if that's the case then idk if there's much you can do besides send the extra ones. I doubt it'll get be some sort of reason to throw your app in the reject pile.

TrueWolverine likes this.