• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Jul 5, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi everyone, I am applying this upcoming cycle and had a few questions on letters of recommendation.

My school offers a committee letter and I am able to get one from them. The committee also requests 3 additional letters before they begin writing their letter. For those additional letters, I got the standard 2 science professors and a dentist. I know AADSAS lets you submit 4 letters, so can I submit the committee letter as 1 and also submit the other 3 within AADSAS?

Additionally, I asked an advisor for a club that I am very active in and I have worked very closely with for a letter. I wanted to submit his letter as an additional letter to schools because I feel his would be by far the strongest, but I was not sure if it was appropriate to send a letter from him because I have not had him as a professor, nor is he a professor who has high standing in my institution (he is an associate professor I think).

artist2022

UCLA D3 :)
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I know AADSAS lets you submit 4 letters, so can I submit the committee letter as 1 and also submit the other 3 within AADSAS?
I think the way committee letters work is that the committee makes a package that includes the "committee letter" but also the 3 letters you submitted to them (so all 4 letters in one package). Thus, it makes no sense to submit those 3 letters again to AADSAS, so I would not recommend doing this. Also if you did, I think schools would get annoyed by that many letters and that you didn't follow the instructions (ie submitting a committee letter as a committee letter and not as an individual letter....)
Additionally, I asked an advisor for a club that I am very active in and I have worked very closely with for a letter. I wanted to submit his letter as an additional letter to schools because I feel his would be by far the strongest, but I was not sure if it was appropriate to send a letter from him because I have not had him as a professor, nor is he a professor who has high standing in my institution (he is an associate professor I think).
I think that's fine. Of the 4 spots on AADSAS, submitting a committee letter takes up 3 spots so you do have 1 spot left that you could use for this letter. It'd just be from a club advisor, almost like a "supervisor" letter.

Jul 5, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I think the way committee letters work is that the committee makes a package that includes the "committee letter" but also the 3 letters you submitted to them (so all 4 letters in one package). Thus, it makes no sense to submit those 3 letters again to AADSAS, so I would not recommend doing this. Also if you did, I think schools would get annoyed by that many letters and that you didn't follow the instructions (ie submitting a committee letter as a committee letter and not as an individual letter....)

I think that's fine. Of the 4 spots on AADSAS, submitting a committee letter takes up 3 spots so you do have 1 spot left that you could use for this letter. It'd just be from a club advisor, almost like a "supervisor" letter.

Awesome, thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: 1 user

85-29

2+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hey there! I received a committee letter from my university, so I wanted to add to artist2022's answer a bit. When you fill out AADSAS, you can either submit individual letters or select the committee letter option. I had to enter contact information for my pre-health advisor and then AADSAS reached out to her for the committee letter and other LORs. I submitted four LORs (2 science profs, 1 DDS, 1 club supervisor) to the pre-health committee and my pre-health advisor then uploaded those documents plus the committee letter to AADSAS. I think the committee letter ends up being a multipage packet of information including a preamble about your undergrad school, the committee letter itself and the individual LOR from your letter writers. I would send the LOR from your club advisor to the committee so that they can include it when they upload the committee letter document.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.