Letter of Recommendation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njfuturedds

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am applying this upcoming cycle and had a few questions on letters of recommendation.

My school offers a committee letter and I am able to get one from them. The committee also requests 3 additional letters before they begin writing their letter. For those additional letters, I got the standard 2 science professors and a dentist. I know AADSAS lets you submit 4 letters, so can I submit the committee letter as 1 and also submit the other 3 within AADSAS?

Additionally, I asked an advisor for a club that I am very active in and I have worked very closely with for a letter. I wanted to submit his letter as an additional letter to schools because I feel his would be by far the strongest, but I was not sure if it was appropriate to send a letter from him because I have not had him as a professor, nor is he a professor who has high standing in my institution (he is an associate professor I think).

Members don't see this ad.

I know AADSAS lets you submit 4 letters, so can I submit the committee letter as 1 and also submit the other 3 within AADSAS?
I think the way committee letters work is that the committee makes a package that includes the "committee letter" but also the 3 letters you submitted to them (so all 4 letters in one package). Thus, it makes no sense to submit those 3 letters again to AADSAS, so I would not recommend doing this. Also if you did, I think schools would get annoyed by that many letters and that you didn't follow the instructions (ie submitting a committee letter as a committee letter and not as an individual letter....)
Additionally, I asked an advisor for a club that I am very active in and I have worked very closely with for a letter. I wanted to submit his letter as an additional letter to schools because I feel his would be by far the strongest, but I was not sure if it was appropriate to send a letter from him because I have not had him as a professor, nor is he a professor who has high standing in my institution (he is an associate professor I think).
I think that's fine. Of the 4 spots on AADSAS, submitting a committee letter takes up 3 spots so you do have 1 spot left that you could use for this letter. It'd just be from a club advisor, almost like a "supervisor" letter.

I think the way committee letters work is that the committee makes a package that includes the "committee letter" but also the 3 letters you submitted to them (so all 4 letters in one package). Thus, it makes no sense to submit those 3 letters again to AADSAS, so I would not recommend doing this. Also if you did, I think schools would get annoyed by that many letters and that you didn't follow the instructions (ie submitting a committee letter as a committee letter and not as an individual letter....)

I think that's fine. Of the 4 spots on AADSAS, submitting a committee letter takes up 3 spots so you do have 1 spot left that you could use for this letter. It'd just be from a club advisor, almost like a "supervisor" letter.

Awesome, thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! I received a committee letter from my university, so I wanted to add to artist2022's answer a bit. When you fill out AADSAS, you can either submit individual letters or select the committee letter option. I had to enter contact information for my pre-health advisor and then AADSAS reached out to her for the committee letter and other LORs. I submitted four LORs (2 science profs, 1 DDS, 1 club supervisor) to the pre-health committee and my pre-health advisor then uploaded those documents plus the committee letter to AADSAS. I think the committee letter ends up being a multipage packet of information including a preamble about your undergrad school, the committee letter itself and the individual LOR from your letter writers. I would send the LOR from your club advisor to the committee so that they can include it when they upload the committee letter document.

Reactions: 1 user