letter of recommendation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booboo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am really confused about the process of letter of recommendations. I went to my advisor to give me some info, but he is always busy or in hurry. I will be applying to med school next year. so here goes::

1. Do i just go to my teacher and ask for letter of rec and if they do write one, do i keep it or do i ask them to keep it at school? and send it in later or something?
2. I read about the school committee writing a letter of rec, how does that work
3. who should i ask for letter of recs? which department
4. do i need to give some kind of form to my teachers for letter of recs?
5. If i am not allowed to keep the letter of recs, where should i send them?
6. When i ask for letter of recs, do i need to send them all in or i can decide which one to send.

i think thats about it....All schools just have poster of Student Doctor Network and they should just tell their students to come here and ask. I am sure they will save alot of money this way. :laugh:

oh thank..gracias.. :D

Members don't see this ad.

As far as asking for a rec goes, when you ask a professor for a recommendation you should first ask if they would be able to write u a strong recommendation for medical school. a lot of admission officers have told me that they receive numerous recommendations that go a little like this: " John Doe was in my organic chemistry class and made an 'A'. His grades put him in the top 5% of my class. I feel that since John was able to succeed in my class he should make a fine medical student". This tells the admission committee nothing about you that they already know! They can see on your transcript that you made an "A". So basically my point is that when asking for a recommedation look to professors that know you well and can talk about more than just your grade in their class!

booboo said:
Hey guys

I am really confused about the process of letter of recommendations. I went to my advisor to give me some info, but he is always busy or in hurry. I will be applying to med school next year. so here goes::

1. Do i just go to my teacher and ask for letter of rec and if they do write one, do i keep it or do i ask them to keep it at school? and send it in later or something?
2. I read about the school committee writing a letter of rec, how does that work
3. who should i ask for letter of recs? which department
4. do i need to give some kind of form to my teachers for letter of recs?
5. If i am not allowed to keep the letter of recs, where should i send them?
6. When i ask for letter of recs, do i need to send them all in or i can decide which one to send.

i think thats about it....All schools just have poster of Student Doctor Network and they should just tell their students to come here and ask. I am sure they will save alot of money this way. :laugh:

oh thank..gracias.. :D

i'll try to answer this as best as i can, but i think every school might do things a bit differently, so i can only tell you what happens at my school.

1. Yes, you just go and ask them. ideally, it's someone you know well who would be able to write a strong letter telling them info that might not be found on the transcript. (i'm hoping one of my letter writers doesn't mention the concussion i got ice skating once.) What happens at my school is that we waive the right to see the LOR. so the prof. has to send it in to the pre med office and they put it in our file. so you never get a chance to see it.

2. I'm not too sure about this one, but the way my advisor explained it is that some schools want to see just one LOR from the pre med committee, so they use the LORs sent in by the profs and add some stuff based on our comittee interview and send that in. Our forms have sections to be ranked on things like manual dexterity, how you did in class, etc. so they take an average of what all the profs said for that part.

3.who you should ask depends on who you know best. if you get 5 LORs, you would want maybe 3 from science, and 2 from non science dept. even though most schools would say they want 3, it's good to have some backups. Don't ask the big name prof at your school unless he knows you really well.

4. my school has a premed form that we give to the profs.

5. not sure

6. since you're not allowed to see them, you can't decide. that's i guess the purpose of the pre med office. they decide which ones are the best and thne send those in.

hope this helps somewhat, but i think your best bet might be to schedule an appt with your advisor and ask them because the procedure at my school may be different than yours.

thanks musiclink :) :) . i'll just ask him if i can come to his office and sit down and plan it all out. thanks again. :D :D :D