Letter of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpman87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched quiet a few post and couldn't find the answer to my question....

I have asked like 3 professors to write Letter of Recommendations and they all said that sure they would gladly do one for me. But they all told me the same thing that to give them the information to the places to which they would be sending the letters to. But a few people have told me that LOR's arent sent by mail but are submitted online through AADSAS. Is this true are do I tell professors to send them to the schools, or to AADSAS? Please help.

Also I seen people take resumes to professors to look at, what does the resume contain?? Like what should I talk about on that?

Members don't see this ad.

I searched quiet a few post and couldn't find the answer to my question....

I have asked like 3 professors to write Letter of Recommendations and they all said that sure they would gladly do one for me. But they all told me the same thing that to give them the information to the places to which they would be sending the letters to. But a few people have told me that LOR's arent sent by mail but are submitted online through AADSAS. Is this true are do I tell professors to send them to the schools, or to AADSAS? Please help.

Also I seen people take resumes to professors to look at, what does the resume contain?? Like what should I talk about on that?

When you fill out your AADSAS you can put in the e-mail addresses of your LOR writers. It will then send an email to them with a link to the website where they can submit your letter. I thought this option was way more convenient than the traditional letter approach. But, you can do whatever you want.

Here is what I gave my writers:

- cover letter detailing my involvement with the writer, instructions for submital and my career goals.
- transcript
- personal statement
- resume - just a normal resume, with maybe a focus on education/dental experiences

my school has a career center that would hold my letters and send them for me. does your school have a career center?

i think giving your letter physically to your professor is more personal than giving him an e-mail.

just my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
When you fill out your AADSAS you can put in the e-mail addresses of your LOR writers. It will then send an email to them with a link to the website where they can submit your letter. I thought this option was way more convenient than the traditional letter approach. But, you can do whatever you want.

Here is what I gave my writers:

- cover letter detailing my involvement with the writer, instructions for submital and my career goals.
- transcript
- personal statement
- resume - just a normal resume, with maybe a focus on education/dental experiences

this is one option.

There is another aadsas option that i used since most professors are old and not tech savvy.

Once you know who will be writing LORs for you, you'll input their info on your aadsas profile. you'll have the option for your profs to submit via online or mail. Online is as newmexdent described. If you choose for them to submit via mail, a bar coded "matching form" available on aadsas must be submitted along with the letter.

my school has a career center that would hold my letters and send them for me. does your school have a career center?

i think giving your letter physically to your professor is more personal than giving him an e-mail.

just my 2 cents

We have a center that will hold and send out the letters for you, but I chose not to use it because of the new on-line submittal available on AADSAS. All your writer has to do is type up the letter and copy and paste it on-line - it's way more convenient to them than having to print it out and send it over to a career center.

I wasn't suggesting that you e-mail the professor, you should definately talk to them in person. I was talking about how the system works. Here is the run-down of how I would do it:

1. Call, email, or contact your writers and ask if they would be willing to write an evaluation for you, if they agree set up an appointment to meet with them to discuss the evaluation.
2. Go to the meeting with a packet including the cover letter (with instructions for online submittal), resume, personal statement and transcript.
3. Obtain your writers email address.
4. Explain to your writer that they will be recieving an e-mail from AADSAS giving them instructions on how to submit their letter.
5. Enter the writers email into the application.
6. AADSAS will send the writer instructions and a link to the on-line submittal.
7. The writer will submit their evaluation.
8. When the writer has submitted the evaluation it will indicate it on your application.
9. AADSAS will mail a copy of the evaluations to each school you designate, when they are submitted. So, even if you have already submitted your application, as LORs are submitted they send them out.
10. Send a thank-you note to each writer.

this is one option.

There is another aadsas option that i used since most professors are old and not tech savvy.

Once you know who will be writing LORs for you, you'll input their info on your aadsas profile. you'll have the option for your profs to submit via online or mail. Online is as newmexdent described. If you choose for them to submit via mail, a bar coded "matching form" available on aadsas must be submitted along with the letter.[/quote]

This works also and AADSAS will send a copy of each evaluation to each designated school.

Okay I see, not here another question. They all ahve asked me to whom thye make it out to? and IDK the answer, what should I say to them? Also, If I choose mail opition can I mail the letter myself?? Like for example they print the letter out (am guessing one copy right?) I will have them sign it and seal it. Then am guessing I can send it to AADSAS, and then they will send it ou to the individual schools.

Okay I see, not here another question. They all ahve asked me to whom thye make it out to? and IDK the answer, what should I say to them? Also, If I choose mail opition can I mail the letter myself?? Like for example they print the letter out (am guessing one copy right?) I will have them sign it and seal it. Then am guessing I can send it to AADSAS, and then they will send it ou to the individual schools.

Just tell them that this is a general recommendation letter that will be sent to multiple schools.

You certainly can mail them yourself. again just make sure the matching form is attached along with the LOR. It may be easier,howver, and less labor intensive if you gave your professors a stamped envelope addressed to aadsas along with your resume and matching form. Just tell them to slip it in the mail when they get done.

and the bar code?? DO i print it out..or they do?

and the bar code?? DO i print it out..or they do?

you print it out. itll be self explainatory once you start the process, so just relax with the details.

on aadsas, you'll input your professors' info and choose if they will submit via internet or snail mail. if you choose the latter, there will be a link to a specific .pdf "matching form" that you print off and submit with the LOR.

I applied to both AADSAS and the TMDSAS (the one for Texas) and the TMDSAS required that all of the LORs be mailed together in a packet with a cover letter from the health professions advisor. I painstakingly had to use a service that required that once the profs wrote the letters they had to create an account (yes, I had to ask my professors to not only brag about me, one of literally hundreds of nameless students, but also to go online, and go through a 15 minute registration process.) THEN the next hoop they had to jump through was getting it verified by the service, THEN okayed by my health professions advisor. My HP Advisor had different requirements to give a cover letter than the service so I had to have additional LORs that were required of the TMDSAS and AADSAS. I ended up having 3 letters from science professors, 1 from a psych professor, 1 from a business school advisor that i knew (I was in Natural Sciences), and 1 from a practicing dentist. I requested these letters in early April, they were FINALLY received in August by AADSAS...TMDSAS received one in October.

If I had a choice I'd ask the profs just to send them in.