Letter of recommendation question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elloco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(switching from rads to psych).

Why?

Yes, you can recycle though it may become apparent from the date on the letter that you went unmatched, if that were to otherwise escape your application readers (and it very well might).

How do we go about keepng certain documents on ERAS to be used for next year?

Hi, I applied this year to and was wondering if I could recycle a LoR?

The LoR is not specific to any specialty and it is a great letter from the field I want to pursue this year (switching from rads to psych). Problem is that the writer of the letter is not in a good state of health and getting a new one will be difficult if not impossible. Can I recycle this letter for the next cycle even though it is date September 2012?

Can you? Sure.

Should you? No.

If nothing else (and assuming this person won't be dead when the time comes), just ask for the same letter with a new date.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing for your other 2-3 LORs for next year?

Deleted.

Last edited:
Planning on having and inpatient psych rotation during the beginning of my transitional year and see if I can get two LoR's from that experience and then probably get another one while at my internal medicine rotation. If that fails I would go letter hunting from attendings during my MS4 or MS3 rotations if need be.

Good choices. Is the old letter so amazing that you don't think you can replace it with something else? If you can get 3 or 4 new, great letters, I'd ditch the old one.

Deleted.

Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited:
It's a pretty good letter that states many of my qualities; the only bad part of the letter is that I obviously did not waiver it and programs knew I saw the letter.

If your other LOR writer dies, you can always give the letter to an attending you rotate with this year.

"Could you please write me a LOR? Here is my CV and a copy of an old LOR that I feel best summarizes the qualities that would make me a good psychiatrist."

It's a pretty good letter that states many of my qualities; the only bad part of the letter is that I obviously did not waiver it and programs knew I saw the letter.

an unwaived letter is as good as a letter of rec from your mother. i would say ditch it and get a new one from the same letter write, but waive your right to read it this time.