Letter of recommendation questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Is there a limit to the number of letters you can send in? I'm finding I enjoy interacting with my professors and I have managed to figure out how to stand out in the classroom and in office hours. With a poor academic past, I feel that the more people I have willing to speak on my behalf, the better.

2) Do we really need one non-science professor? I only have science courses from here on out (this year and next).

Members don't see this ad.

1) some schools have a limit of how many they will accept, some don't. Having said that, no adcom is going to read 9 letters. You will get diminishing returns. I would ask for all of them and then pick which letters go to which school based on the mission and what you think they will say about you.

2) If you don't have a committee letter then yes, you really do need a non-science professor. If you were non-trad you could maybe get an exception but it looks like you're still in school. Some schools may also allow a character letter from a boss or volunteering activity instead. Every school has different requirements, so some may be more lenient than other but I would say you will significantly limit your school list if you can't apply to places that require a humanities LOR.

2) If you don't have a committee letter then yes, you really do need a non-science professor. If you were non-trad you could maybe get an exception but it looks like you're still in school. Some schools may also allow a character letter from a boss or volunteering activity instead. Every school has different requirements, so some may be more lenient than other but I would say you will significantly limit your school list if you can't apply to places that require a humanities LOR.

Could a psychology or an anthropology professor be considered non-science? One of my current professors is listed in the Anthropology department though is teaching my anthro/bio course. This professor has complimented me, and I did earn 100 on a recent exam. I also wouldn't mind taking an extra psychology course.

I'm rather against the thought of taking another liberal arts course. However, if neither of these options would work, it sounds as though you'd recommend I enroll in some history or humanities class for the purpose of getting a LoR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think an anthropology course is fine. I mean I can't imagine the class would count toward your sGPA. I'm just another premed though so I really have no authority on the matter. My guess is that your anthro prof would check that box but maybe look at the requirements for 10 or so schools you're really interested in and make sure they don't have any weird requirements or restrictions on what non-science means.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school have a committee letter? If so med schools expect you to use it. So if you don’t know if they offer the letter, find out now and find out what you have to do to get one.

1) Is there a limit to the number of letters you can send in? I'm finding I enjoy interacting with my professors and I have managed to figure out how to stand out in the classroom and in office hours. With a poor academic past, I feel that the more people I have willing to speak on my behalf, the better.

2) Do we really need one non-science professor? I only have science courses from here on out (this year and next).
1) have mercy on us!

2) yes at many schools. You should be looking at med school Admissions websites.