Letter of Recommendation specifics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alliop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm quite new to this, but here I go. I am 23 years old and I have been out of undergrad for about 2 years now. What are the specifications for the letter of recommendations (how many and by whom). I understand that some are required to be from science professors, but being out of school I haven't had any face time with professors for some years and feel that these letters wouldn't be current.

Right now I work for a biotech firm where I can get 2 LOR from my manager and supervisor (but would that be redundant). It is also difficult to get alot of shadowing experience because I am working full-time. I have shadowed a dentist about a year ago, but only for a short time.

I would really like to apply this cylce (my DAT is already 1.5yrs old - pretty good score but never applied). But I'm so ill prepared and I really don't want to apply twice if I don't prepare well enough for this first time.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm quite new to this, but here I go. I am 23 years old and I have been out of undergrad for about 2 years now. What are the specifications for the letter of recommendations (how many and by whom). I understand that some are required to be from science professors, but being out of school I haven't had any face time with professors for some years and feel that these letters wouldn't be current.

Right now I work for a biotech firm where I can get 2 LOR from my manager and supervisor (but would that be redundant). It is also difficult to get alot of shadowing experience because I am working full-time. I have shadowed a dentist about a year ago, but only for a short time.

I would really like to apply this cylce (my DAT is already 1.5yrs old - pretty good score but never applied). But I'm so ill prepared and I really don't want to apply twice if I don't prepare well enough for this first time.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Simple answer you will have to call each school you are planning on applying to and check w them to c if it can be waive. Most of them USUALLY REQUIRE science LORs (from schools).

There is a link on the aadsas website where it says "supplemental information." It lists the lor requirements for each school. But I think just to cover all your bases, get: 2 sci professors, 1 non-sci, and 1 dentist lor.