Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windcolour

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a general question. I tried to search but could not get a definite answer.

I am in the process to request LOR. I do not know if I should request two letters for the transitional year or preliminary year in addition to the rad onc letter? Can I just use the rad onc letter for transitional and preliminary? I am wondering three letters would make the letter writer annoyed.

Many thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a general question. I tried to search but could not get a definite answer.

I am in the process to request LOR. I do not know if I should request two letters for the transitional year or preliminary year in addition to the rad onc letter? Can I just use the rad onc letter for transitional and preliminary? I am wondering three letters would make the letter writer annoyed.

Many thanks in advance!

Just use the same one for all 3. They understand you're going into an advanced program after internship.

Many thanks in advance!

Like Thesauce said, definitely use the rad onc letter for all three, you won't have any problems. For TY's and prelims just use 2-3 of your best rad onc letters along with one IM letter and you will be golden. (I say this because random programs require an IM chair's letter. So if you get one you'll be covered.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Many thanks for you two's informative answer. It is very helpful!

I have the same question-------thx a lot.

One additional question: should I choose waived or non-waived?

"waived" will show my respect and trust to my letter writer. However, how could I guarantee everything in the letter is absolutely positive?

Like Thesauce said, definitely use the rad onc letter for all three, you won't have any problems. For TY's and prelims just use 2-3 of your best rad onc letters along with one IM letter and you will be golden. (I say this because random programs require an IM chair's letter. So if you get one you'll be covered.)

Always waived. If someone offered to write you a letter, it's very unlikely to be bad. If you are asking them for it, there are ways to word your request such that it's unlikely they would write a negative letter. However, to some extent, it's always a gamble.

Always waived.
At many schools a dean or registrar employee will 'screen' letters of recommendation for you to make sure none of your LORs are negative.

Great! It is a good idea by asking dean's office to screen. Many thanks.