letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t12kim

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that i need three letters of recommendation from 3 science professors for some school. If i have only 2 when i apply, will schools consider my application as incomplete? I asked 2 of my science professors last week and they rejected me..they said they dont' know me enough. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

thats what they told me! my application was not looked at by most schools cuz i was missing a letter! u have enough time don't panic go bother some other proff.'s and get u r recomendation letter! good luck :)

t12kim said:
I know that i need three letters of recommendation from 3 science professors for some school. If i have only 2 when i apply, will schools consider my application as incomplete? I asked 2 of my science professors last week and they rejected me..they said they dont' know me enough. :thumbdown:

If schools want 3 letters from the sciences, then you need 3 letters. The rules for submitting an application are laid out clearly.

Don't panic though. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to write you a letter. Make sure you give them your CV when you ask them for the LOR.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, AD is right. If the schools specified certain requirements then if you fail to fulfill this requirement then your application will be incomplete. I have the same situation that none of the professors that wrote the letters of evaluation really know me, but what I did was to provide them with as much information as possible (resume, transcript, draft of the applicant essay, all tests and assignments that I had with them). Even though this might not be much compared to if they know you in person, but many professors will try to write a respectable letter of evaulation knowing that it is very hard these days for a professor to get to know a student on a personal level.

Wish you all the best! :thumbup:

FWIW I had only one (that's right, ONE) recommendation from a science professor and still was accepted to a school with a clearly stated minimum requirement of THREE recommendations from science faculty. Additionally, I was waitlisted at a school which required TWO science LOR's, and was told by the admissions director there that if I had applied earlier in the cycle I would have been a lock for acceptance. To top it off another school with a two science LOR minimum invited me for an interview, so presumably I passed their initial screening process as well.

I don't recommend testing a school's LOR requirements unless absolutely necessary, but as you can tell from my own experience the standards are *potentially* flexible. So if you've tried your best and come up short on letters it's worth applying anyway. You never know how the so-called "rules" might be bent or broken if the adcom really likes the rest of your application.

Good luck.

Call schools and ask them for their opinion on the matter. It seems that quite often the application criterion found on websites are a bit outdated anyway.

And, if possible, have your pre-professional committee write you a letter. That takes care of the LOR problem by having only one letter sent.

Good luck, being a letter short won't damn your application in most cases.