1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

letter of recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by t12kim, Apr 11, 2004.

1. t12kim

t12kim Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that i need three letters of recommendation from 3 science professors for some school. If i have only 2 when i apply, will schools consider my application as incomplete? I asked 2 of my science professors last week and they rejected me..they said they dont' know me enough. :thumbdown:

2. Impmail101

Impmail101 Member
    7+ Year Member

thats what they told me! my application was not looked at by most schools cuz i was missing a letter! u have enough time don't panic go bother some other proff.'s and get u r recomendation letter! good luck :)

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If schools want 3 letters from the sciences, then you need 3 letters. The rules for submitting an application are laid out clearly.

Don't panic though. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to write you a letter. Make sure you give them your CV when you ask them for the LOR.

Good luck!

4. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Yes, AD is right. If the schools specified certain requirements then if you fail to fulfill this requirement then your application will be incomplete. I have the same situation that none of the professors that wrote the letters of evaluation really know me, but what I did was to provide them with as much information as possible (resume, transcript, draft of the applicant essay, all tests and assignments that I had with them). Even though this might not be much compared to if they know you in person, but many professors will try to write a respectable letter of evaulation knowing that it is very hard these days for a professor to get to know a student on a personal level.

Wish you all the best! :thumbup:

5. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

FWIW I had only one (that's right, ONE) recommendation from a science professor and still was accepted to a school with a clearly stated minimum requirement of THREE recommendations from science faculty. Additionally, I was waitlisted at a school which required TWO science LOR's, and was told by the admissions director there that if I had applied earlier in the cycle I would have been a lock for acceptance. To top it off another school with a two science LOR minimum invited me for an interview, so presumably I passed their initial screening process as well.

I don't recommend testing a school's LOR requirements unless absolutely necessary, but as you can tell from my own experience the standards are *potentially* flexible. So if you've tried your best and come up short on letters it's worth applying anyway. You never know how the so-called "rules" might be bent or broken if the adcom really likes the rest of your application.

Good luck.

6. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Call schools and ask them for their opinion on the matter. It seems that quite often the application criterion found on websites are a bit outdated anyway.

And, if possible, have your pre-professional committee write you a letter. That takes care of the LOR problem by having only one letter sent.

Good luck, being a letter short won't damn your application in most cases.