Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leon9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get a letter of recommendation now during sophomore year from Bio 2 Professor and Gen Chem professor what do I do with it? I'm really unsure about how the application works. Also I am going to get a LOR from a DO I am shadowing what do i do with it also? Any input appreciated :)

Also what should they put in the letter? Is their a general outline?

Members don't see this ad.

First, getting a letter during sophomore year (especially since it is September, you just started) is pretty early. Many schools allow the letter to be 2 years old but....why are you getting them now? Also, why are you asking "what do I do with them"??? It's best you shoudlnt even TOUCH them!!!

Dude, not trying to be harsh, but it sounds like you have done ZERO research on the application process, plus, you are only a sopomore. You have other worries right now.

When the time comes, you have to check with each school you apply to as what they require for letters, and who they have to be from. Also, many schools, if you search their admissions site, will have guidelines about what letter writers should address in their letters or even have evaluation forms for them to fill out instead of writing a letter.

Bascially, dont worry about this stuff at this stage in the game. Plus, most of your info will be found by actually taking the time to research each individual school as well as the AACOMAS process, which your pre-med advisor SHOULD help you with. SDN is great, but if you decide to just throw up questions on it all the time instead of researching, you will become very frustrated in the process.

Not saying you are/will do this, but just telling you ahead of time, because some do.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

PS--Study hard for the MCAT next year.

The reason I ask is because I am pretty ignorant as far as how the letters are sent to schools. I think that if I actually read some information on the app process I'd be alright.

Also you are right it is early, but I still want the letter from the DO though. That being said, I don't think I'll be getting it any time soon. He wants me to come back and shadow him some more, which I really want to do! He graduated from NSUCOM and that is where I want to go as my top choice. So I think a letter from him would be really important, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I am at a community college and I read, after posting this, that CC letters are pretty much useless so I'll wait until I transfer to the four year university. We don't have a pre-med adviser at the CC but rather regular advisers so asking them for information is pointless and SDN is the best way for me to get it. I've also read a few books on medical school but they didn't go into very much depth as far as the application process goes. If you could direct me to a website, forum thread, or anything that could explain the application process to me I'd much appreciate it!

Also is it a problem if I do the AA transfer degree at the community college in three years? I am DEFINITELY going to a four year and my major is Biology so I will need to take upper div bio courses. This means that my BS in Bio will have taken me 5 years instead of 4 but I feel more comfortable this way. I think that once I take classes like Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 as well as intro to microbiolgy I'll be ready for the Human Morph and Fnctn classes at the university, the same for the MCB.
Here is what I think my schedule will be for the rest of my time at the CC.

Fall 09- [NOW]
Bio 2+ Lab = 4
Chem 1+ Lab = 4
Applied Physics = 3
Trigonometry = 3
Total : 14 Hours

Spring 10-
Chem 2 + Lab = 4
Physics 1+ Lab = 5
Survey of Calculus = 3
Total: 12 Hours

Summer 10-
Physics 2 + Lab = 5
Microbiology = 3
College Algebra Retake [Originally had a C]= 3
Total: 8 Hours (not counting the retake)

Fall 10 -
Organic 1 + Lab = 4
Anatomy + Physiology 1 = 3
Total: 7 Hours

Spring 11-
Organic 2 + Lab = 4
Anatomy + Physiology 2 = 3
Total: 7 Hours

-----------------------------------
I just want to know if they care about me doing 3 years instead of 2? Also at the same time I'll be doing some research, volunteering, more shadowing, working, etc.
------------------------------------

I'm guessing that you have been in college/university longer than I have so if you have any other tips I would appreciate it as well. I've seen your posts around the forum and you seem knowledgeable on the Pre-Med subj. Feel free to PM for whatever questions or anything you'd like to ask.

Thanks in adv.
leon

Members don't see this ad :)
Collecting your LORs for application isn't exactly a bad idea. If you do get your LORs now, then just have your professors write a letter without the date on it. You can also have them upload your letters to Interfolio (you can sign up for up to 3 or 5yrs I believe) or you can upload it yourself to Interfolio. Granted, it is better that you don't see your LORs, but its definitely not the end of the world if you do. I already have my DO and one science letter written and uploaded to Interfolio. Most schools require the standard 2 science and 1 physician letter, but some require more or less like PCOM (dean letter).

EDIT: If your letter writer is a professor that you had, it doesn't matter where he/she teaches at as long as they taught you. The advice we give here is based half on hearsay and the other half on researching it ourselves. Don't stop here for the information, but go a step further by contacting the schools of your choice to hear about their recommendations and requirements.

Thank you Punkmed! Once again great information coming from you =]

Well I am at a cc and another thing you can do is keep in contact with some of your professors you want to get a LOR from. Like my microbiology teacher is a graduate from UMDNJ and is at YALE now and is about to graduate from there and teach at their undergrad as well as the cc shes at now. I keep in contact with her just because she is going to be a Yale graduate :D.

I have also had a MD for a professor, she was Italian graduated from her country. Still has a MD and has hook ups, if you want sure get the LOR now but keep in contact with old professors you never know how they might hook you up.

There is no rush to get all the LORs now either I mean its my last year at a cc and I can get about 9 or 10 LORs from physicans, teachers, etc. There's no point for me atleast just grab them all a month in advance.

Good Luck

Thank you Mohammed I appreciate your input. I'm going to delay my transfer out a year though. Over here they don't require MCB or Anatomy n Phys to transfer out but I want to take them so I get the upper hand in a way? Plus I want to take Gen Chem 2 thru Orgo 2 with this professor here who is awesome and teaches ridiculously well!