letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist2be2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am doing research full time so I asked my PI to write me a letter of recommendation. He is a science professor, so does it mean his letter counted as a science professor's letter or an employer's letter? I mean he is my employer... so confused! HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

as long as he has some level of faculty status, and he knows you well enough to write you a good reference letter, i say go for it

as long as he has some level of faculty status, and he knows you well enough to write you a good reference letter, i say go for it

Thanks for the reply. Yes, he is a professor, and in fact a well known one. But, he is also my employer. So for schools that require 3 letters from science professor and an optional one from employer, does his letter count as science professor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get paid for your position? If so, then employer.

is he part of your supervisory committee to gain a MSc or PhD? if so, he's a professor.
If you work for him full time without being in an advanced degree program, then he's an employer.

from what i understand, pi's are considered a category of their own in terms of letter of recommendations...they would fall under the "miscellaneous" category that some schools give you the option to fulfill. but out of the two (science professor and employer) they are much closer to employer

just b/c hes also a professor doesnt mean u can use him as one of ur letters to fulfill the "science professor" requirement. u have to actually have taken his class, and the letter in that case should be focusing on you as a student, not you as a research assistant, although that could still be brought up as complementary material

ust b/c hes also a professor doesnt mean u can use him as one of ur letters to fulfill the "science professor" requirement. u have to actually have taken his class, and the letter in that case should be focusing on you as a student,

i guess it depends on the program you are in. I believe most PI's actually teach classes, so if you were in his/her class, wrote the tests and received a grade, then your PI/professor could pass as a "science professor"

yeah thats what i mean - if the op took classes taught by the lab pi then he can be used as a source of a science LOR. but if he only did research for the professor, then he cant

Is this just your personal oppinions or facts. Because it does not ever mention your professor but just says science professors? I just want to be sure because I will most likly use a prof that i did a summer project with but did not take a course from them

if you are being paid then he is your employer and if you are taking it as a credit then it would count as a science professor