Letter Of Recommendations !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1234

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know whether you all are facing the same problem. I called the schools that iam applying to and they told me that they received everything from AADSAS except the letters of recommendations.

Now, is AAdSAS sending everone's LOR's later or it's only my LOR's which have not been sent.

Members don't see this ad.

My heart felt sympathies go out to you, Sam.

I'm sending my LOR's individually to my top schools (my serious prospects). I just submitted to AADSAS today as well, but I know it will take them 4-6 weeks to process. But as long as my top schools get them I'm a happy camper.

DesiDentist

They've sent mine out! If they were received and complete by the time your app. was processed, they should have been sent out with your application.

I only had one letter sent out (a committee letter), and I had to speak with AADSAS several times to tell them to send it out because there weren't any more letters coming in on my behalf. They couldn't understand why I was just sending out one letter. I tried explaining it but then gave up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had send my 3 LOR's along with the AADSAS application(submitted on June 10th).
AADSAS always confirmed me the letters were there. Now i hear from schools that they didnot receive the LOR's. And now when i call AADSAS they tell me they forgot to send the letters.........

I was warned by my pre-health advisor to not use AADSAS to send LORs. At first I thought it was her ploy to make the school some money (since sending LORs directly from my undergrad institution to individual dental schools would mean more fees associated with each mailing). But, it seems as though the warnings were true.

If I were you, I would do what Desi did - send LORs out individually to your fav schools, and get on AADSAS to send thme out to the other schools.

edit: BTW, I'm no longer a Junior Member...woohoo! :clap:

How does letters of rec work? Im applying to 20 schools. Do teachers give you 20 letters and let you send them out or do they send them out themselves. The latter is more complicated because most schools want it sent when they notify you for it.

savvy,

Schools may *say* that they want the LORs sent to them when they notify you, but you should disregard that statement. Send the LORs as soon as you possibly can to the schools. They are going to request them anyways, so there is no need to delay your application by a month waiting for schools to receive them after they request them.

Besides, if you are applying through AADSAS, they send your letters out at the same time they send out the application, if you choose to let them.

Have you already applied through AADSAS? If not, then I'd encourage you to have them send out your letters. That way the recs. only have to write one single letter, and AADSAS does all the copying and mailing.

You can have the recs. return their letters to you in a sealed envelope and then you can mail them out, or you can have your school mail them out if they have an application service.

Both of these latter options are going to be a bit time consuming for you, and annoying for the letter-writers (especially in light of the fact that you are applying to 20 schools). If you have 3 letters written, then you are going to be dealing with 60 copies of letters if you choose to do it all yourself! Too much of a pain for me.

To your original question: The teachers can mail the letters for you, but you need to provide them with stamped envelopes (they shouldn't have to pay for it --especially 20 schools each!).

I sent my LOR thru AADSAS. I hope that they remember to send it with my application. I wanted to send my LOR directly to the schools but it would cost more and i'm running short in cash. I hope that they don't forget cuz they did that to my friend last year and he got screwed over.

To Savvysearch:

On the LORs: You might want to find out how the preprofessional/premed/predental advising committee at your college works.

Certain colleges have a pre-dental advising committee to whom you have each of your recommending professors send one copy of the LOR. The committee will then put together a package of all the LORs plus the committee's own recommendation if you satisfy the committee's GPA requirements, and send as many copies of the package as necessary to all the schools you applied to.

From my experience in applying two years ago, it seems dental schools prefer these preprofessional committee LOR packages if your school handles preprofessional programs this way.

Good luck!