Letter of Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvl1987

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope SDNers are having a great holiday! I need some input, I'm planning on doing a committee letter and I have 6 letters of recommendation. I'm only allowed 4 letters, Which ones should I cross out?
1. Immunology professor, also my lab cordinator I do research with
2. My anatomy professor, also my critical thinking professor
3. My upper division english professor who is also a patient at the dental office I work for.
4. A nurse I've volunteered for, I helped with tutoring mentally handicapped students for 3 years
5. My dentist that I've worked for, for 3 years
6. A plastic surgeon I've shadowed in Australia for the summer, also did the majority of his worker compensation cases.

I probably will cross out the plastic surgeon (#6), but I'm not sure who else. Let me know what you think, thanks a bunch!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, hope SDNers are having a great holiday! I need some input, I'm planning on doing a committee letter and I have 6 letters of recommendation. I'm only allowed 4 letters, Which ones should I cross out?
3. My upper division english professor who is also a patient at the dental office I work for.
4. A nurse I've volunteered for, I helped with tutoring mentally handicapped students for 3 years
6. A plastic surgeon I've shadowed in Australia for the summer, also did the majority of his worker compensation cases.

I probably will cross out the plastic surgeon (#6), but I'm not sure who else. Let me know what you think, thanks a bunch!!!!

The professor, of the three, who doesn't know you as well as the other two.

If you're sending the committee's letter, don't you provide the committee with all your recommendations and all you actually send to the d-schools is the ONE letter by the committee?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're sending the committee's letter, don't you provide the committee with all your recommendations and all you actually send to the d-schools is the ONE letter by the committee?

Sorry I should clarify, for the committee letter PROCESS, I'm allowed 4 letters, which will be combined into one committee letter.

Just because AADSAS only allows 4 LORs doesn't mean you can't have more. In fact, I had 6 LORs because schools have different LOR requirements. I sent the 4 most commonly asked for to AADSAS and had the others sent directly to the schools as necessary to fill requirements.

Just because AADSAS only allows 4 LORs doesn't mean you can't have more. In fact, I had 6 LORs because schools have different LOR requirements. I sent the 4 most commonly asked for to AADSAS and had the others sent directly to the schools as necessary to fill requirements.

I think what he is saying is that for his committee he can only send in four LOR. Alot of Universities have a committee that will take all your LOR, grades, etc.. and put everything in one letter and it will pretty much say how well prepared they think you are for Dental school. Generally its never a bad thing becuase if they do not think you are prepared they will just not write one.

I would say the anatomy professor and the plastic surgeon. I like the english professor because he can comment on how well you did at the dental office with a different view then the dentist himself

Do you need to have been taught by the professor for the LOR? Or can it be a prof you know very well/did research for etc.