Letter of Recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you think it is enough to just have these lors:

Gen Chem LOR
BioChem LOR
Denist LOR
Reseach Advisor (PI) LOR

Is is necessary to have a biology LOR? I am able to get letter of recs from my gbio but these would be the strongest. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

What you have is fine. I have been told that biochem can count for either bio or chem. Seems like you've covered everything. Good luck applying.

Is it necessary to have a chem LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it necessary to have a chem LOR?

Certain schools are picky. Off the top of my head Michigan, UDM, UMB, probably some others that want one bio and one chem for the science LOR.

Certain schools are picky. Off the top of my head Michigan, UDM, UMB, probably some others that want one bio and one chem for the science LOR.

Great, that's fantastic to know! :)

Do you have insight into the schools of Creighton, Minnesota, and Marquette by chance?

What you have is fine. I have been told that biochem can count for either bio or chem. Seems like you've covered everything. Good luck applying.

does every school see it this way?

Just a correction for my previous post: UDM will take any 2 science letters as long as they are not from classes that are focus on evolution (I think). I had to get an extra letter this cycle, because they wouldn't accept the letter from my evolutions and ecology class.

I don't think any advice on this forum will speak for every dental school. Personally i think if you get one bio and one chem then you've covered most if not all. The best advice i can give you is to call the schools you are interested in and ask them about their requirements for LORs.

I can also get a letter of rec from the Chancellor(also a math professor) of my university. But that gives me too many non-science lors. Any tips?

Would my PI count as science lor?