Letter of Update--not much to update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdeffedcba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was complete in mid-July for ~30 schools. While I have heard back from ~10 schools, most of my schools have been silent. My pre-med counselor suggested that I send letter of updates/interests to these schools to put myself on their radar again...but the problem is I don't have much to update.

My thesis is ongoing...no major findings/publications going on right now (and won't be for the next 4 months).
I've had to actually reduce my volunteering due to school work/thesis
No awards/promotions/new positions (actually I'm passing on my leadership positions to the next generation of students)
My grades will either be the same or decrease a little bit

What do you guys think I should do? If I were to write a letter, I could only say that my thesis is ongoing and focus on my interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't send updates if you have nothing to update.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think your friends would even want that update email. In-the-area emails would be a better alternative, if they're open to it and you're in fact in the area (whether for the explicit purpose of sending them the email saying so or not).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete in mid-July for ~30 schools. While I have heard back from ~10 schools, most of my schools have been silent. My pre-med counselor suggested that I send letter of updates/interests to these schools to put myself on their radar again...but the problem is I don't have much to update.

My thesis is ongoing...no major findings/publications going on right now (and won't be for the next 4 months).
No awards/promotions/new positions (actually I'm passing on my leadership positions to the next generation of students)

What do you guys think I should do? If I were to write a letter, I could only say that my thesis is ongoing and focus on my interest.
Focus on your continuing interest and specific reasons the school is a good fit for you. Be sure to send letters of interest only to those schools that accept them.

I don't think OP should send a letter of interest unless they're targeting schools they're on the WL for. It's basically a glorified love letter to the school, and groveling isn't going to change anything. I think Adcom's are much more receptive of update letters combined with a paragraph or so about your continued interest in the school.

Thank you for all of your advice. I think that I am going to send ITA emails with half a paragraph on update and a full paragraph on interest to most of these schools. I figured I have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
even this would be a more interesting update letter......

UHk5ssW.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Do you really think that the admissions Dean is going to run out of his office screaming "we have to accept this guy!" ?????????

Reactions: 1 user
Your comments are too true...but what is there to lose in sending in a bland update/interest letter?

If I don't send in anything, my file will be in the exact place it was in in the last three months... in the "limbo" file, and ADCOM will assume there is no new updates with me. ADCOM will get to it when they get to it. If I do send something in, albeit bland, ADCOM MIGHT decide to review my file and give it a decision. And the worse and most likely scenario is ADCOM will just put it in my file and never read the letter of update again.

It seems to be like the worse scenario of sending in the letter and not sending in a letter at all both put me in the same spot.