Aug 21, 2017
I asked for letters quite a while ago but only have 1 uploaded. When do I need to really start trying to get them to get their letters uploaded?

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
I asked for letters quite a while ago but only have 1 uploaded. When do I need to really start trying to get them to get their letters uploaded?
Now. You should start sending reminders today or tomorrow that you need it by the time ERAS opens (to be safe, you can request by September 10th). Almost all of us who have been through this have had to remind our letter writers as they are often busy clinicians/researchers, it's just part of the process.

Reactions: mcl

Neurodelic

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I am in the same situation. Do you have any tips on how to go about asking in the most respectful manner possible? Would simply sending emails be too impersonal?

About the Ads

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Would simply sending emails be too impersonal?
If you've already asked for the letter, and simply reminding the writer that the letters ar due by Sept x, then no.

If you haven't asked for the letter yet, first, you're in trouble, and second, yes, too impersonal. Not always avoidable, though.

Neurodelic

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2013
Status
Medical Student
If you've already asked for the letter, and simply reminding the writer that the letters ar due by Sept x, then no.

If you haven't asked for the letter yet, first, you're in trouble, and second, yes, too impersonal. Not always avoidable, though.
I already asked for this letter (in person) 2-3 months ago while I was still working with this attending. I got a warm response at the time and have been told that he tends to need reminders. I have emailed 2 reminders since then, but haven't gotten any reply. I have his cell number, but that seems like too much.

About the Ads