• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I recently got rejected from my top school and was considering writing a letter to appeal the rejection. Has anyone had any kind of success doing this? And what can you say in the letter to actually make an impact? Thanks...

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ive heard around here somewhere that students have written letters and subsequently retrieved their application from the rejection bin- most of these, however, were because there was an error in the rejection. Try it out, it can't hurt.

About the Ads

sbdickyc

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
I met a guy who was rejected from SF and SD, but wrote an appeal and got interviews at both. We'll have to see about getting accepted but I think he's got a great chance. Unfortunately, I didn't press him about what he wrote in the letter, sorry can't help there.

Bottom line though, it's worth a shot. Good luck.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
Hey guys, I recently got rejected from my top school and was considering writing a letter to appeal the rejection. Has anyone had any kind of success doing this? And what can you say in the letter to actually make an impact? Thanks...

Pre- or Post-Interview? If it's post-interview, I'd probably pass on the letter if I were you. Pre-interview, hell, take the shot.

junqu

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
my feeling is you're HIGHLY unlikely to "Change" their minds.

It shows a lack of class and what you'll probably do is hurt your chances for next year.

If anything, just send something asking if you could have some feedback and check for mistakes in the info they have about you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
On what basis are you rejecting? I think it's fine if there's a valid reason. "I'm a good applicant and I really want to go there" doesn't qualify...

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
On what basis are you rejecting? I think it's fine if there's a valid reason. "I'm a good applicant and I really want to go there" doesn't qualify...

notdead, you're forgetting about the waves of applicants applying places and then not really wanting to go there ("I've gotten 2 acceptances - should I reapply next year to Harvard?" threads). Maybe be everyone doesn't really want to fo there. Of course, everyone on this board does indeed assume their a good applicant (with stellar ECs).

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
notdead, you're forgetting about the waves of applicants applying places and then not really wanting to go there ("I've gotten 2 acceptances - should I reapply next year to Harvard?" threads). Maybe be everyone doesn't really want to fo there. Of course, everyone on this board does indeed assume their a good applicant (with stellar ECs).
Actually, Humble, he's appealing their rejection, not rejecting the school...

foofish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Doesn't LizzyM (or maybe another adcom/occassional poster) have a story about an applicant who successfully repealed twice (first to interview, and second an acceptance)? Or maybe my premed-addled mind is hallucinating...

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Actually, Humble, he's appealing their rejection, not rejecting the school...

I was replying to the "really want to go there." It's assumed that everyone wants to go to a school they've applied to, but recent developments would tell us otherwise.

stixx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If threadstarter already has acceptances at other schools, might as well.....doesn't hurt. It probably won't work, but not that there's anything better you could be doing with the 10 mins it'll take to write a letter.

If not, well yea as said it won't help your chances at that school next year if you have to reapply.

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
notdeadyet got it right. If you're appealing for a tangible reason (ex: an error on the part of the school in handling your application, or an AMCAS problem), a rejection appeal is appropriate. If you're appealing because you just really want to go there, I don't see it being a fruitful effort.

foofish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Doesn't LizzyM (or maybe another adcom/occassional poster) have a story about an applicant who successfully repealed twice (first to interview, and second an acceptance)? Or maybe my premed-addled mind is hallucinating...

It was LizzyM. I was a bit fuzzy on the details, but the guy did appeal twice (pre-secondary and interview) and got in: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4120211&postcount=10http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4120211&postcount=10

The thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=316619&highlight=appeal+rejection

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.