Letter Writer did not sign letter! Application already reviewed.. How to update??

TheOneAndOnlyJamesFranco

5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
So I was verified early July, sent my first secondaries out late July, and have my app out to about 15 schools with many more to come.

I recently was notified by BU last week that one of my letters was not on letterhead/signed and called to confirm with the letter writer, and apparently this is indeed the case.

So I know my app has already been reviewed by at least one school, but BU was the only one to notify me and put me on hold. Obviously I will have this letter reuploaded ASAP, but what does this mean if other schools didn't notify me? Did they just simply throw out this additional letter?

Should I reach out to all of the schools that I've already sent apps to and also all of the schools I'll be sending apps to soon that have already received the unsigned letter?

Panicking! Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Feb 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Just curious, did you use a committee letter and is this letter part of your letter packet, or did you send individual letters?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
You can probably have the letter writer upload a new copy and it will be resent to schools. then you email schools about update coming
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/

Can I change my letter information after it is submitted to AMCAS?
You may add a new letter after your application has been submitted, but you cannot delete or change existing letter entries.
However, your letter writer can update the actual letter document linked to a letter entry by uploading a new version of the letter using the same Letter ID number as the original entry. Medical schools will be able to review the most recent version of the letter. These updates may be necessary if your letter writer needs to make a change to your letter, or if the original letter was not signed or on official letterhead. Do not make a new letter entry in your application for an updated letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThoracicGuy

machete fred

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I had this issue. All I did was have the professor upload a corrected letter using the same letter ID.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Just out of idle curiosity, do you think that this is the first time in history that this has happened?

So I was verified early July, sent my first secondaries out late July, and have my app out to about 15 schools with many more to come.

I recently was notified by BU last week that one of my letters was not on letterhead/signed and called to confirm with the letter writer, and apparently this is indeed the case.

So I know my app has already been reviewed by at least one school, but BU was the only one to notify me and put me on hold. Obviously I will have this letter reuploaded ASAP, but what does this mean if other schools didn't notify me? Did they just simply throw out this additional letter?

Should I reach out to all of the schools that I've already sent apps to and also all of the schools I'll be sending apps to soon that have already received the unsigned letter?

Panicking! Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP
T

TheOneAndOnlyJamesFranco

5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Just out of idle curiosity, do you think that this is the first time in history that this has happened?
Goro, I understand that this is definitely not the first time it has happened as per every school's and even AMCAS's reminder that "it is up to the applicant to be responsible for their letters to be on letterhead and signature..."

But the fact that is stated (and I of course reminded him), that I hope it does not reflect poorly on me.

I am just worried that:
1) The schools that already reviewed might not have considered this additional letter seriously (and it is a BIG letter for me, justifying my gap year and more)
2) That my application will now be weirdly considered uncomplete/hold at other places without me knowing?

I am already sort of late in the cycle and am just trying to make this run as smoothly as possible!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
This is common and so do what the wise gonnif has suggested.

MDhopeful324

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2016
Status
Medical Student
So the schools are not automatically informed by AMCAS when the updated letter arrives?

OP
T

TheOneAndOnlyJamesFranco

5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
@Goro
You can probably have the letter writer upload a new copy and it will be resent to schools. then you email schools about update coming
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/

Can I change my letter information after it is submitted to AMCAS?
You may add a new letter after your application has been submitted, but you cannot delete or change existing letter entries.
However, your letter writer can update the actual letter document linked to a letter entry by uploading a new version of the letter using the same Letter ID number as the original entry. Medical schools will be able to review the most recent version of the letter. These updates may be necessary if your letter writer needs to make a change to your letter, or if the original letter was not signed or on official letterhead. Do not make a new letter entry in your application for an updated letter.
Should I send this update e-mail only to schools that I been already COMPLETE at before the updated letter, or also to all of the schools that had already received that original letter but I am only submitting my secondary now and thus am complete post-updated letter?

I have checked a lot of schools' portals from before the letter update and they still say that they "received" the original letter from a long time ago...

Basically trying to gauge if I should be sending every secondary now with an update e-mail as well!

Thanks!

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
@Goro
Should I send this update e-mail only to schools that I been already COMPLETE at before the updated letter, or also to all of the schools that had already received that original letter but I am only submitting my secondary now and thus am complete post-updated letter?

I have checked a lot of schools' portals from before the letter update and they still say that they "received" the original letter from a long time ago...

Basically trying to gauge if I should be sending every secondary now with an update e-mail as well!
I would