Letter writer selection question (PhD admissions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

representwitpixels

Reaction score
Question from a non-traditional applicant: Is a recommendation letter from a mentor in the private sector, where I did applied research in recent years, preferable to a letter from a former mentoring post-doc (not my master's advisor/lab director) from 10 years ago in a cognitive lab where I wrote a master's thesis (yielded two posters on the CV)? The more recent mentor knows me better, although both have good things to say.

Also, the industry research I did (eventually as a principal) makes up the bulk of my research career; the processes and methods are relevant to my clinical research interests but the content is completely unrelated. For what it's worth, my focus (and proposed directions for a PhD) originate from recent experiences as a master's level clinician and advisor to interventional community programs, not past research productivity (whether industrial or academic)...

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

10 years ago was an awfully long time ago in my opinion- but why are you having to choose? Don't most places allow 3 letters?. If you aren't able to include both then I personally would go for the more recent one- especially since they would be better able to highlight the fit of your current skillset and interests with whatever programs since you say that's where your interests developed (not 10 years ago in the lab). You can make reference to your work in the cog lab elsewhere in the application.

Reactions: 2 users
For what it's worth, my focus (and proposed directions for a PhD) originate from recent experiences as a master's level clinician and advisor to interventional community programs, not past research productivity (whether industrial or academic).
Programs will likely want to know why you want a doctorate at this point in your life, especially since you have a MA/MS already as well as private sector experience so if you had to choose, I'd also go with the more recent rec.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)