letterhead and signature requirement for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegame11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How strict are these two requirement for schools?

I have a feeling that some of my writers who uploaded the letter to the website may skip these things... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Given that all of your LOR writers should be professors, physicians, or employers they really should know to sign the letter and use letterhead. However, stuff happens. Last year one of the physicians I work for did not use letterhead. I found out when I contacted one of the schools to ask why I was not marked complete. The school would not accept the letter and it had to be resent.

Some schools care, some don't. I have one that wasn't on letterhead or signed that I have to resubmit, but most of the schools I'm applying to didn't specify or haven't said there are any problems with any of the letters.

You could also ask letter writers if they did, explaining you didn't know it was a requirement. Most people understand that requirements for letters can vary depending on what they're for.