Aug 22, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Hey everyone! I need some advice on who to ask for a letter of recommendation for applying to MSW. I have one letter from my fieldwork class at college. I graduated with a psych major and 3.4 cumulative gpa, but a 3.9 psych gpa. I am volunteering at a hospital and will get one letter from the director of the volunteer program.

Now, I work mainly on two floors at the hospital. On the medicine floor, I bring the patients anything they need (water, clothes, toothpaste, etc) and visit them and talk to them. I asked the head nurse there and she said she would write me a letter.

The other floor is a unit for brain injury patients. On that floor, I do mostly clerical work, answer phones, and because it's a closed unit, I monitor the doors. While the patients wait for physical therapy, I monitor them as well. I am more known on that floor by the nurses and doctors.

Recently, I've been told that because my resume is so weak (I don't have much experience because I was my sister's sole caretaker my last 2 years of college as she was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder - so I have a lot of personal experience, but not professional), I should ask the doctor on the brain injury unit to write me a letter.

But I feel that the doctor only knows about my clerical performance and that MSW programs are looking for applicants with more patient interactions. What do you all think - letter from the head nurse or the doctor who only knows about my clerical work skills? Will it hurt my application if I send the letter the doctor wrote if it only mentions my clerical skills and work ethic?

I am applying to NYU, Hunter, Columbia, Rutgers MSW programs