Mar 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Having been out of dental school for some time, I have not kept in close contact with my professors. I was planning to ask my ceramics professor for a letter since I got an A in there and it has to do with the art aspect of dentistry. How do you guys think this letter will compare to a science class in which I got a B in? I know both professors on an equal level, only the grade and subject matter differs.

Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I also asked for a letter from an art professor, so I do think it's a very reasonable thing to do. However, I think in your case it really depends on who the other recommendations are from. If you already have several science recommendations, then I think it WOULD be nice to hear something different, from the ceramics department, Spanish department, or any other professor that will say good things about you academically/personally/etc

The only reason I would say you SHOULD NOT have the ceramics instructor write you a recommendation is if you don't have any letter from a science professor. Dental schools place most emphasis on science courses, so if you don't have any recommendation from a science professor, it may seem that you are not sufficiently "serious" about the sciences. The only other reason might be if you are much closer to the ceramics professor and are certain that they will write a glowing recommendation, and that conversely, the science professor will write some form recommendation "so-and-so was in my class and received a B, demonstrating that he/she had a strong grasp of the covered material, etc etc"

good luck!

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Was the chemistry/physics of ceramics discussed in the class?

OP
H
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I will be asking for my other letters from a physics professor and a dentist I interned for.

And no, the class really didn't cover the chem part of ceramics. It went into the various types of clays and the optimal firing temperatures, but that's about it.

punkin85

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Keep in mind that many schools REQUIRE at least 2 recommendations from science professors...not just a certain number of letters. Research each school to check on this. Also, AADSAS lets you add 4 letters now so I personally would make 2 of those science, 1 a dentist and the last from ceramics.