Letters of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
As always I have been trying to find out as much information as possible before even applying. I have been thinking of LOI's. I do have like 4 top choices if that makes any sense. However, if I was to interview at a private school and state school it would be hard which one to choose. How many LOI's can you send out? Can I send one to a state school another to a private? How do these things work!?? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's good to think ahead! Still, it's hard to plan this stuff out before you have any idea what your situation will be. Usually, LOIs are sent out if people have been waitlisted (they have already been interviewed) or if it is late in the game and no interview has been offered yet. You never know - you might be accepted to all of your top choices and then you won't have to worry about silly LOIs!

But, if you do have to send them out, I think that the general concensus is that, morally, you can send out one "letter of intent" which states "if you offer me a position in the class I will accept it". This would be to your very top choice. However, you can send out as many "letters of interest" as you want, updating the school on your status and saying that they are one of your top choices.

Good luck in the process - hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaah, but here we enter the fine gray area of "interest" vs. "intent". If LOI refers to letter of interest, then the sky is the limit. Send them out until your fingers cramp from siging. If LOI refers to letter of intent, then it is right and proper to stick with one. Even though you might have 4 top choices right now, there will undoubtedly be one that really stands out in your preference list after you have interviewed. Whether it is the campus, the reputation, the feeling you get from the students, or ultimately the full scholarship you are offered; one will stand out. Grab hold of that school and pour all of you passion in to the one and only LOI you send out. If you are offered the scholarship, then skip the LOI and take a trip to Europe! Hooah!

Yea I was talking about Letter of Intents sorry. Thanks for your input. Like I said, I have been trying to think ahead and imagine what I could do to strengthen my chances. Anymore information is welcome especially from those who have had experience with Letters of Intent. :)

You are only suppose to send out one letter of INTENT. With an intent letter, you are telling the school that accepted, you will go for sure and you will withdraw from all other schools if you get accepted at the school where you send your one LofIntent.

I think it might be a bit premature right now to even think about it. Interview at the schools, see which one you like most, then think about an LOintent. Usually, u send those post-interview. It's good that you are thinking ahead though!

Uegis,
All I am trying to do is become educated in the whole process. Better to be educated now than after May 16 of 2006 no? Thanks for your response ;)

USArmyDoc said:
Uegis,
All I am trying to do is become educated in the whole process. Better to be educated now than after May 16 of 2006 no? Thanks for your response ;)

Oh no, i'm not trying to be malicious or mean or anything along those lines. Just wanted to add my opinion on these letters. Good luck with the AMCAS. And you get the whole timing of sending the transcript settled yet (from your other thread that I responded to)?

Uegis,
I know you weren't being malicious. Sorry if I came off defensive. No hard feelings. ;) I am just the kind of person to make sure that I know all I could possibly know before going into a situation. Who knows if I am lucky enough to get an interview at my top school in the upcoming year a LOI (now that I know what it is and how effective it just may very well be) might give me the push I need. Thanks bud

Also, I got the timing down with AMCAS. Thanks to you I am going to get the whole thing going pretty well. Although Uegis would it be safe to say that even if i submitted AMCAS in August I would get my secondaries right away? I am confused I'll PM you.

u must be a capricorn

USArmyDoc said:
Uegis,
I know you weren't being malicious. Sorry if I came off defensive. No hard feelings. ;) I am just the kind of person to make sure that I know all I could possibly know before going into a situation. Who knows if I am lucky enough to get an interview at my top school in the upcoming year a LOI (now that I know what it is and how effective it just may very well be) might give me the push I need. Thanks bud

Also, I got the timing down with AMCAS. Thanks to you I am going to get the whole thing going pretty well. Although Uegis would it be safe to say that even if i submitted AMCAS in August I would get my secondaries right away? I am confused I'll PM you.

Nope, Aries.....sorry :)

ok guys, here's my deal- have been waitlisted at Downstate (my top choice). have ALREADY written a letter of intent, as well as a life update. want to write ANOTHER letter basically just to show continued interest- what to say????? have no new life updates. it feels stupid but i know it's the right thing to do. any help???

MariaS43 said:
ok guys, here's my deal- have been waitlisted at Downstate (my top choice). have ALREADY written a letter of intent, as well as a life update. want to write ANOTHER letter basically just to show continued interest- what to say????? have no new life updates. it feels stupid but i know it's the right thing to do. any help???
my situation too! I wrote one earlier for my waitlisted schools and since I'm not doing relevant stuff this summer I wasn't sure. I sent it off though mentioning that I graduated, am still very interested, mentioned stuff I said at the interview that I doubt they would remember, went into detail on volunteering I did last semester (after my interview), why I am a good candidate etc. I basically wanted to send something just so I don't entirely pass under the radar and remind the admission committee that I exist. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't but it helps personally with the waiting process, like I did something constructive. Though I guess they were letters of interest not intent (I can't figure out how to subtly say "I will come to your school if you just let me in, please please please" - any advice on that?)