Letters of Intent

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kstew187, Nov 26, 2002.

1. kstew187

kstew187 Junior Member

To whom do you guys address your letters to when you send schools materials that supplement your application and/or letters of intent. Also, in the acual letter, do you write dear Dean, dear members of the committee...etc. Just wondering becuase I might have to be doing this soon. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zingyraindrop

zingyraindrop Member
    7+ Year Member

I always start out with, "Dear Admissions Officer", and if I have interviewed already then I go straight to the person, i.e. address to Dr. BettyWetty. In the second case I also cc the ad com. It has worked so far and they have responded pretty fast...2 weeks at most. Good Luck.

Zingy

4. Dynastar

Dynastar Member
    7+ Year Member

When you said you heard back in less than 2 weeks, did you mean you were accepted??

I didn't know that writing letters of intent to schools really made a difference or that you should even write letters of intent.

5. Dynastar

Dynastar Member
    7+ Year Member

Let me clarify.

Does anyone ever write a school saying that they would really like to go there before they are accepted???

6. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, some schools ask that you do, usually if you are waitlisted. For example, G-town usually only considers people on their waitlist if they have written a letter of intent (or at least that's what they say).

7. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I wrote some letters to schools a couple weeks ago; my applications have been complete since August, and I figured, if I hadn't gotten any love yet, I was in their stack To Be Rejected Later. So, I sent them a couple letters reiterating my interest in the school and highlighting the strongest points of my application.

I haven't heard back; ask me next year if it works. :rolleyes:

8. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

A friend of mine tried that. His application passed the initial review at the adcom meeting post-interview but was then stalled awaiting consideration at the final committee meeting. While he was waiting for action on his app, he sent the school a letter of intent. It seemed to do the trick as his app then went to the full committee meeting and he got accepted a short time later. So, I would say you should give it a try. You have nothing to lose.