Letters of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstew187

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To whom do you guys address your letters to when you send schools materials that supplement your application and/or letters of intent. Also, in the acual letter, do you write dear Dean, dear members of the committee...etc. Just wondering becuase I might have to be doing this soon. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I always start out with, "Dear Admissions Officer", and if I have interviewed already then I go straight to the person, i.e. address to Dr. BettyWetty. In the second case I also cc the ad com. It has worked so far and they have responded pretty fast...2 weeks at most. Good Luck.

Zingy

When you said you heard back in less than 2 weeks, did you mean you were accepted??

I didn't know that writing letters of intent to schools really made a difference or that you should even write letters of intent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me clarify.

Does anyone ever write a school saying that they would really like to go there before they are accepted???

Originally posted by Dynastar
Let me clarify.

Does anyone ever write a school saying that they would really like to go there before they are accepted???

Yes, some schools ask that you do, usually if you are waitlisted. For example, G-town usually only considers people on their waitlist if they have written a letter of intent (or at least that's what they say).

I wrote some letters to schools a couple weeks ago; my applications have been complete since August, and I figured, if I hadn't gotten any love yet, I was in their stack To Be Rejected Later. So, I sent them a couple letters reiterating my interest in the school and highlighting the strongest points of my application.

I haven't heard back; ask me next year if it works. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dynastar
Let me clarify.

A friend of mine tried that. His application passed the initial review at the adcom meeting post-interview but was then stalled awaiting consideration at the final committee meeting. While he was waiting for action on his app, he sent the school a letter of intent. It seemed to do the trick as his app then went to the full committee meeting and he got accepted a short time later. So, I would say you should give it a try. You have nothing to lose.