Letters of Interest and Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patsfan12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a series of questions regarding LOI's and updats that I would like some feedback on. Thanks for the help!!

1. Is it appropriate to send LOI to schools that wait until March to give a decision? Or is it only appropriate for those schools where you have been waitlisted?
2. Do you send LOI and updates via snail mail or email?
3. Who do you address a LOI to? Should you address it to the person you interviewed with or just the admissions committee in general?
4. Is it appropriate to include an updated official transcript as part of an update letter?

Thanks again for all your input!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is it appropriate to send LOI to schools that wait until March to give a decision? Or is it only appropriate for those schools where you have been waitlisted?

Send them to whichever schools you are really interested in. You do not need to wait for a decision before doing so.

2. Do you send LOI and updates via snail mail or email?

Depends on the school. If they have a status page, see if it gives information regarding that. Some designate that they prefer email, some don't. If you don't know, I would think snail mail is the best bet (or call and ask them). But if the school has sent you correspondence via email and/or it designates email as the proper means of correspondence on its status page/website, it's probably safe to send it via email. Again, if you're concerned, call each school and ask after perusing their admissions web sites/status pages.

3. Who do you address a LOI to? Should you address it to the person you interviewed with or just the admissions committee in general?

I don't think it's that important, but I probably wouldn't send it to an interviewer. Most people suggest that you send it to the head/dean of admissions, and I agree with that suggestion. I, however, just addressed mine to the Admissions Committee in general. I think the substance of the letter is much more important than who it is addressed to. I just wouldn't send it to an interviewer because if they're out of town or forget to turn it in to the admissions office, it might not make it into your file in time for your review by the committee.

4. Is it appropriate to include an updated official transcript as part of an update letter?

I would think that if it's official, the updated transcript should go directly from your registrar to the med school, and should not pass through your hands. I'm not positive what is done here, but I might send an unofficial copy with a letter of update, and then mention in the letter that an official copy will be sent from the registrar directly to the med school.

:luck:

Oh, and I see you're a new member. FYI - the search function is very helpful.....