Letters of interest/intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehabs of Steel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had my final interview last week, and am now trying to figure out my rank list. What are people's thoughts regarding e-mailing programs to let them know you are still interested and/or plan to rank them highly? Good idea? Bad idea? Doesn't matter? Also, any thoughts regarding letting your top program know you are ranking them #1? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Let the top one know, can't hurt. Don't lie to any of them to try to ranked higher because:

1) So many people do it, and the PD's know most of it is BS
2) If you get accepted, but they find out you lied about ranking them, it may bite you in the butt later (LOR's, etc).
3) It won't likely mean anything to them.

Similarly, don't listen to any that call you and tell you you are their #1 or "ranked very high" - many do it just to pad their own statistics and it just ends up screwing you. On of my classmates missed out on ENT because of that.

At most, you should send them a thank-you letter for the interview, expressing your sincere interest, if it is there, and maybe mentioning something that was (or wasn't) on your application that would make you stand out from the pack.

But send it via snail mail. A lot of PD's are still old foggies, and someone else reads their email or filters it for them. They'll respect the professionalism more. At least I would.

Write back if it makes you feel better. A post-interview thank you letter is professional and considered common courtesy, but certainly not required nor will it affect your ranking in any way. A letter of intent doesn’t hurt, but really doesn’t matter either.

Just make sure you spell my name correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that I don't see attendings putting too much effort into their rank list other than maybe an hour or two reviewing the group and then not bothering to change them. Mayo finished creating its rank list in December before I had interviewed at 7 other programs. I contacted one program when I was sure it was my #1 and got back a positive e-mail from the Chairman and PD about their impression of me.

That said, I am still trying to have a safety net to assure I match at a program I would enjoy.

Another program director called me asking my feelings and another PD e-mailed me twice a general e-mail thanking me for interviewing there including last week despite interviewing months ago.
It is hard to gauge where I stand. If a PD of a competitive program tells you that he thinks you are "a highly competitive applicant and will go anywhere you want" during your interview with sincere pathos, does he tell all the applicants that? To be honest I just plan on contacting my top 3 programs, realizing that they may have already made the rank list and just pray. Good luck to everyone!

Upenn sent out a generic e-mail OK'ing the desire of anyone for a 2nd look, but personalized it with a one comment insert from the personal statement buried in the e-mail. Two classmates and I had this. Just wanted to let people know. I'm glad they put the effort into it, but I don't think it was as selective as when I first read it and momentarily was proud to receive it. Anyone else?

Upenn sent out a generic e-mail OK'ing the desire of anyone for a 2nd look, but personalized it with a one comment insert from the personal statement buried in the e-mail. Two classmates and I had this. Just wanted to let people know. I'm glad they put the effort into it, but I don't think it was as selective as when I first read it and momentarily was proud to receive it. Anyone else?

At least 3 from my class, including myself, got a similar email. Definitely a nice touch, as it was only 1 of 2 programs that provided any unsolicited feedback after the interview. Who knows what, if anything, it means though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be swayed by those letters. Some PDs are notoriously tight lipped - RIC, UWash are two that come to mind. I got NOTHING from RIC and I matched #1 choice. I did get lots of letters, emails, post cards, even phone calls. In the end, it's your choice and it's nice to be wanted but you also have to realize that you have to live with your choice for 3-4 years.

I 100% agree with you and regardless of where I was ranking that program to begin with.... how much they contact me does not change anything. I knew the exact order of my match list the minute I finished my last interview. Still....it is nice to hear that you're wanted.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with you and regardless of where I was ranking that program to begin with.... how much they contact me does not change anything. I knew the exact order of my match list the minute I finished my last interview. Still....it is nice to hear that you're wanted.

Hey, got a call from the chief resident of Upenn saying they were interested and was there to answer further questions. I have the program ranked very highly for its research potential, but noticed the resident was not at all enthusiastic..this could have been b/c I had not met him on interview day or that he was calling other people or just plain fatigued. Having had a friend screwed despite all the work he did for a program in a different field, I am not that trusting anymore. I ranked them very highly but am wondering if there is cause to drop them lower as trust/program responsibility is a MAJOR thing to me. I learned this the hard way before medical school. Keeping talking to people to get as much information as you can to make an informed decision as it's big in the grand scheme of things!

Last edited:
Hey, got a call from the chief resident of Upenn saying they were interested and was there to answer further questions. I have the program ranked very highly for its research potential, but noticed the resident was not at all enthusiastic..this could have been b/c I had not met him on interview day or that he was calling other people or fatigued. Having had a friend screwed despite all the work he did for a program in a different field, I am not that trusting anymore. I ranked them very highly but am wondering if there is cause to drop them lower as trust/program responsibility is a MAJOR thing to me. I learned this the hardway before medical school.

The PD and several residents clearly stated on interview day that to be ranked at the top of their list of desirable candidates, you must express your strong interest in the program. The PD repeatedly stated how very proud he was of not having to go down his match list.

Last edited:
The PD and several residents clearly stated on interview day that to be ranked at the top of their list of desirable candidates, you must tell them that you are ranking them at the top as well. The PD repeatedly stated how very proud he was of not having to go down his match list.

And therein is a big part of the problem with the match - bragging rights among PD's - "I matched all 6 spots with my top 8 picks!" They'll screw you for bragging rights. Tell everyone you are ranking them highly. What will it hurt?

Interesting posts. Did anyone get anything back from Michigan when they interviewed there? I got a handwritten card a while back when I interviewed there.

Interesting posts. Did anyone get anything back from Michigan when they interviewed there? I got a handwritten card a while back when I interviewed there.

Same here...nothing since the card in December though. I wrote an email to their PD and program coordinator about a month ago, but didn't get a response from either one. It is what it is....I'm not going to over-analyze any of this stuff...

Last edited:
Let the top one know, can't hurt. Don't lie to any of them to try to ranked higher because:

2) If you get accepted, but they find out you lied about ranking them, it may bite you in the butt later (LOR's, etc).

How could they know your rank list? Just curious./

How could they know your rank list? Just curious./

I believe they get notified of where their residents ranked them. They know how many #1's, #2's, etc they get. Not definate they get specifics by student/resident.

Any Academics in the know here, know for certain?

I believe they get notified of where their residents ranked them. They know how many #1's, #2's, etc they get. Not definate they get specifics by student/resident.

Any Academics in the know here, know for certain?

On the Tuesday before the Match results are released (scramble day), programs get a copy of their certified rank list, along with the corresponding programs that each individual on that list matched into. Thus we know how far down on our rank list we went. We don’t know where we were ranked on anyone’s list. However - if a candidate we really liked were “ranked to match” but ended up somewhere else, we know they didn’t rank us #1.

We also find out if someone we interviewed and ranked ended up matching into another specialty.