Letters of Interest/Updates???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the semester is over I'm thinking about sending in Letters of Interest to the schools I haven't heard from, updating them on my grades, activities etc. I was wondering how the best way to go about this is, though. I'm sure the information is somewhere buried in this forum, but I felt I should ask anyway...
Is it better the send in paper or e-mail? Also Is there any specific format, and should I have my updated GPA sent officially to each school (which would be time-consuming and expensive...)? Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Now that the semester is over I'm thinking about sending in Letters of Interest to the schools I haven't heard from, updating them on my grades, activities etc. I was wondering how the best way to go about this is, though. I'm sure the information is somewhere buried in this forum, but I felt I should ask anyway...
Is it better the send in paper or e-mail? Also Is there any specific format, and should I have my updated GPA sent officially to each school (which would be time-consuming and expensive...)? Thanks for the help guys!

I wouldn't worry about sending an official transcript or anything. Just a one or two-page(MAX!!) letter talking about what you've been doing..mention the classes and grades from last semester..and talk about why you're interested in their school specifically.

As far as letter vs. e-mail, it might not be a bad idea to call the admissions office and ask.

Check with the school to see how they will like to receive the updates. Some like e-mail, some like paper. Some don't take updates. No need to send them the official GPA. Just state your GPA on the update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it necessary to mention the GPA? My GPA is pretty good and it hasn't changed much since I submitted AMCAS.

does anyone have a sample letter of interest they can post?

Dr. *****,

On October ****, I interviewed at ************* and came
away very impressed and intrigued at the thought of attending ***. The
facilities were fantastic, and I was thrilled to see how genuinely happy the
students appeared. Since the interview, I have visited other medical schools
and have not yet found one as appealing as *********. Thank you for a
wonderful visit and interview.

As a bit of an update, I wanted to keep the admissions committee informed of my
current semester. I am taking two health-related courses: one on emerging
zoonotic disease(we are currently studying influenza), and another on
alternative health practices, such as herbal remedies, acupuncture, and the
importance of diet. I am continuing to work two jobs, one as an assistant
manager at a dining hall and the other working with genetically modified swine.
With the latter, I was given a pay raise last week for my hard work and
dedication. I have also been in communication with Captain ******, an
Army recruiter, to help me handle all the necessary paperwork required to
become an Army physician.

Again, thank you for a splendid visit. I hope to hear from you soon.

Virginia Tech Class of 2010
Biological Sciences

I kept it short and sweet. No need to include a lot of fluff, in my opinion.