Letters of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToastyPremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to ask for advice regarding letters of interest post-interview. So, I've already written two update letters to all of the schools (3) that I remain interested in with essentially everything noteworthy I have done in the past year. I have also written letters of interest to the schools I am interested in 2-3 weeks ago, with a letter of intent composed to my top choice.

At this point, I feel largely helpless and unable to change the fate of my admissions status. That is, unless I were to send another letter of interest of some sort. Would it be too much to do so? Should I wait until April, May, or the May 15th date before doing so?

Edit: I am waitlisted at the schools I intend to write to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try to space out 6 weeks between your letters to a school.

Hi all,

I wanted to ask for advice regarding letters of interest post-interview. So, I've already written two update letters to all of the schools (3) that I remain interested in with essentially everything noteworthy I have done in the past year. I have also written letters of interest to the schools I am interested in 2-3 weeks ago, with a letter of intent composed to my top choice.

At this point, I feel largely helpless and unable to change the fate of my admissions status. That is, unless I were to send another letter of interest of some sort. Would it be too much to do so? Should I wait until April, May, or the May 15th date before doing so?

I'm assuming that the schools you have written to are receptive of your letters of interest. My advice is to wait until around May 15th. You want to strategically place your letter so that schools have you in mind once they have open slots. If you haven't been accepted to any schools, I'm not sure how much good a letter of intent would do since they know you will go there if accepted, but you can always give it a shot.

Hang in there buddy, its a tough ride but pretty much out of your hands at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you aware that LOI are almost universally ignored?

Hi all,

I'm assuming that the schools you have written to are receptive of your letters of interest. My advice is to wait until around May 15th. You want to strategically place your letter so that schools have you in mind once they have open slots. If you haven't been accepted to any schools, I'm not sure how much good a letter of intent would do since they know you will go there if accepted, but you can always give it a shot.

Hang in there buddy, its a tough ride but pretty much out of your hands at this point.

Is it agreed that sending letter of interest or intent is pointless before being granted an interview? I was wait listed at once school and will send them a letter of interest this weekend. My top choice is nycom but I haven't heard anything from them. If accepted I would 1000% go there. Will anything help me with them? Thanks

Is it agreed that sending letter of interest or intent is pointless before being granted an interview? I was wait listed at once school and will send them a letter of interest this weekend. My top choice is nycom but I haven't heard anything from them. If accepted I would 1000% go there. Will anything help me with them? Thanks
At this point don't bother sending a LOI to schools you haven't interviewed at. Interviews are pretty much over now. If you haven't heard from them by now it's a silent rejection. Even if you did hear right now, chances are you're interviewing for the waitlist.

Should I mention the names of other schools to that I was accepted in LOI?
Is it 100% definite that there won't be any waitlist movement before May 15?

Should I mention the names of other schools to that I was accepted in LOI?
Is it 100% definite that there won't be any waitlist movement before May 15?
No, they can see what schools you are accepted to after a certain date (April 15th maybe?).

Its not definite, some schools purposely only fill their class seats. However, most schools accept 2-3 times the amount of seats available. That way, if people go somewhere else, they don't have to immediately start pulling from the waitlist. These schools re-evaluate those on the waitlist after May 15th. Unless you KNOW your school under accepts (check the school specific thread, Pitt is an example), do not sent your LOI until around May 15th