Apr 1, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Just a few questions:

Is it okay to email/snailmail in letters of interest if there is no place to upload them on an application?
If we can't find whether or not a school specifies "no updates," should we still send them?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Letters of intent before you have been invited for an interview seems like a act trying anything to get into medical school and, at least to me, have a negative impact.

Only update actual achievements.

Not a new involvement with a organization but being named to supervisory or team lead (eg named crew chief on campus ambulance corps)
Not a new lab position but a paper recently accepted for publication or invitation to present at conference.
Being awarded an honor or grant, especially if highly selective or competitive.
If you had taken 2 or more worthwhile courses over the summer that would be "impressive" (eg received As in Genetics and Biochem).
If you had 2 or 3 "typical" events that to happened together (eg became a TA for Organic and started a new research lab).

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
No and no.

These get ignored at most schools, unless they specifically welcome updates.

Just a few questions:

Is it okay to email/snailmail in letters of interest if there is no place to upload them on an application?
If we can't find whether or not a school specifies "no updates," should we still send them?

Reactions: gyngyn
About the Ads

EnvisionMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
When writing letters of interest, how did you address the reader?
Ex: Dear Admissions Committee
To Whom It May Concern
Dear [Name of the dean of Admission]

I will be sending this to 8 MD schools that are perceptive to LOI. Called each one individually last week. Do you think this is a good idea this late in the cycle?

Thank you,
E

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
When writing letters of interest, how did you address the reader?
Ex: Dear Admissions Committee
To Whom It May Concern
Dear [Name of the dean of Admission]

I will be sending this to 8 MD schools that are perceptive to LOI. Called each one individually last week. Do you think this is a good idea this late in the cycle?

Thank you,
E
Yeah if you want to get rejected at all 8. LOI are supposed to be sent to one school only.

EnvisionMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah if you want to get rejected at all 8. LOI are supposed to be sent to one school only.
I believed that letters of interest don't function the same as letters of intent. I will be sending letters of interests out, with careful phrasing. "you are one of my top choices." I only applied to schools I really want to go to and where my stats fit. I don't see how this can lead to rejection. Please let me know what your thoughts are @studentdocftw .

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I believed that letters of interest don't function the same as letters of intent. I will be sending letters of interests out, with careful phrasing. "you are one of my top choices." I only applied to schools I really want to go to and where my stats fit. I don't see how this can lead to rejection. Please let me know what your thoughts are @studentdocftw .
Didn't even know a letter of interest was a thing..don't they know you are interested by sending a primary and filling out the secondary/paying fees?

Reactions: EnvisionMed
About the Ads