Letters of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iliketoytles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I think I've asked this question before, but it was for letters of intent. For letters of INTEREST pre-interview, do you think it'd be a good idea to email it to the dean of admissions, send it via snail mail, or both? And about how long should it be? My draft is about 1.5 pages.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I think I've asked this question before, but it was for letters of intent. For letters of INTEREST pre-interview, do you think it'd be a good idea to email it to the dean of admissions, send it via snail mail, or both? And about how long should it be? My draft is about 1.5 pages.

Thanks!

I think it is a little early for a letter of interest unless you submitted your application early June. But if you do send one I would keep it short and direct, at least not more than 1 page since most AdComs are pretty busy at this time of the year. Make sure in your letter you list what attracts you most to the school (curriculum, location, extracirculars offered...etc.) and what you can contribute to the medical school.

I think it is a little early for a letter of interest unless you submitted your application early June. But if you do send one I would keep it short and direct, at least not more than 1 page since most AdComs are pretty busy at this time of the year. Make sure in your letter you list what attracts you most to the school (curriculum, location, extracirculars offered...etc.) and what you can contribute to the medical school.

Thanks for the advice! The reason I want to send it out by next week is because TX interviews stop around December. So I want to send it so they have time to look back at my application and extend the invite if they choose to do so.

I have a draft... but I'm trying hard not to make it sound like another personal statement. It's so hard! I mentioned a lot of what you and others I have talked to about this have suggested, but I feel like I'm trying to oversell myself again (like in the PS). I'll keep revising I guess!

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
You do a letter of interest once you are on a waitlist or before getting an interview???

You do a letter of interest once you are on a waitlist or before getting an interview???

You write a letter of interest before an interview, and a letter of intent after an interview to basically tell them that "if you accept me, I will go to your school."