letters of rec '10 apps...non-sci letter a must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

js1227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to send all the required letters of recommendation to medical schools? I have 2 decent letters from science professors and another two from different professors whose labs I worked in.

My problem is that many schools seem to require a non-science academic faculty letter...I know that even if I get one, this letter will not be strong because I just did not go to office hours for most of these types of classes. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you answered your own question - if the non-science letter is required (as it is by many schools and pre-health committees), then it's required. Get to know a professor and ask for a letter - medicine isn't all about science.

There are about 10 schools that come to mind that require a non-sci letter. If you can not get the letter then that means you just cant apply to certain schools like creighton or penn state. As a whole most medical schools dont require this non-sci letter. So if you cant get one dont worry too much, it wont limit you too badly. However, you could always try and get one. I was in a similar position and i had a few meetings with my prof and she ended up writing me a very nice letter. Some profs will write good letters just after a long meeting and getting to know you.

I had 3 science letters and then some volunteer/service letters. I just didn't apply to those schools. There are plenty more that don't require the non science letter. Hopefully it's not your state school, though. But yeah, required = required.