1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

letters of rec addendum

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by grasshopper, Aug 1, 2001.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

sorry if I spelled that wrong. I do spell check my apps. :) Here's my question: I had 4 letters plus my school's committe letter, and they already started going out to all those that are taking them. But I've been doing a research thing this summer, and have an offer for a letter from here. Which is great, but 1) do med schools get annoyed with >5 total? and 2) is it worth it to bother my own pocket and med school admissions people with the fact that it's an add-on for many?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you're going MD/PhD then I would go ahead and send it, otherwise I would just hold off. I haven't seen any schools request more than 5. Some may be annoyed with additional letters, others may welcome the chance to make a better evaluation of you. It really depends on the school I guess. However, there is definitely a point where too many letters will start working against you. Whether that's at 5 or 6 or 7 is anybody's guess.

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I think 5 is the max, at least for the schools I'm applying to. And what's with sending in a committee letter plus individual letters? I thought it was either/or.

5. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

my understanding was that it was either/or, unless you are in grad school or have been out of college for some time, in which case additional letters are often required. i have my undergrad 'committee' letter (which is basically a letter collection service, but the pre-med office will also tack on a compilation/summary of all of the letters in addition to the letters themselves, in case an adcom doesn't want to read every single letter, i guess) which is made up of 5 letters, plus two additional post-college letters. but i've checked with every single school to ask what their limit is on rec letters before i submit anything and if they restrict the amount, then i've only sent grad school stuff.